Chapter 13: Test Run

Illika

A warm breeze rolls in off the waves, spraying sea salt on my face.

I inhale, breathing in its perfume. Fresh air fills my nose, falling to my lungs before traveling through my veins, and coursing through my bloodstream. Then I exhale, feeling light.

In my chest, my heart beats. A melody I have heard many times before, which dances with the tune of the city.

Musutafu is awake, the golden haze of the sun gliding across it, making it appear as some kind of beacon. People walk and make their morning commutes, each in their own little world.

Each naive to the greater cause in the making.

"Are ya ready, Illie?"

I turn, meeting Toga's gaze. She stands, her body armed and ready with the tools she needs. Blades to cut and slice anyone. Needles connected to tubes at the ready to penetrate her chosen victim. The mask she uses to drink their blood.

It's been a week since I met Tomura and a whole three since I joined the PLF. Over the span of these last three weeks, I have come to learn of each person's quirk.

Mr. Compress is able to use small capsules to hold or carry people – both friends and foes. He manages to shrink them down, then when he releases them from the capsules, they return to their normal stature. Nifty. And that just so happens to be how he captured me.

Jin is able to create clones of himself. This is something I have seen several times now, and each time it leaves me in awe. He can create so many, and they each take on his personality, carrying on conversations with each other and others. Though, part of me can't help but wonder if maybe this is why he can be so...Twice.

Spinner's quirk is straightforward. He can climb walls and do whatever a gecko does. Something that some people don't see as beneficial. However, his combat skills are still impressive in their own right.

As for Dabi, his quirk involves fire. A very common quirk in this world. What makes it unique is how each user is able to utilize it. In Dabi's case, his flames are especially hot, burning a brilliant blue that can almost be blinding. And is – I assume – how he gained his patchwork skin.

Tomura – our leader, as I've learned – is able to use decay. As he demonstrated, anything he touches with his hand is instantly reduced to ash. Though, I have also heard he no longer needs to touch to activate his quirk. Supposedly, if he so wills it, his ability can move beyond what he touches. That's what I've heard, though.

Then there's Toga. Her quirk allows her to take on the physical appearance – and in some cases – the quirk of someone whose blood she drinks. A nifty quirk, it also has been seen as terrifying in a way. To know that someone could be talking to her, thinking she's someone they know, but it's not. It's so exciting.

Such powerful and wonderful quirks.

I smile. "Yeah. Where's Jin and the others?"

"Dabi wasn't overly interested in this mission, so he bailed. He's probably somewhere doing his own thing. Spinner and Jin are both back at the base to help Skeptic disarm any cameras remotely. Compress is going to meet us at the rondeau point. And Tomura is somewhere."

I'm not surprised by Dabi. He seems to march at the beat of his own drum. The others must not be too bothered by it since he's still allowed to do it. But Twice and Spinner are still at the base? Helping Skeptic? And Tomura is somewhere?

I knit my brows. "He's somewhere? Where is somewhere?"

She smiles as she shrugs. "I'm not supposed to tell you, but he wants to observe how you do." She reaches her arms over her head and stretches. "I'm guessing he just wants to see how you do on the field for himself. After all, everyone talked up a big game over you."