Chapter 21: Mirage and Blain

Illika

Asahi and Akihiko Nakamura, better known as the Nakamura brothers.

They are both massive, each standing at least six feet, but maybe taller with thick necks and even broader shoulders. Each brother is carved out of bulky muscle and wears a scowl on their masculine face. Their brunette locks are buzzed short, and their glares are sharp. Identical twins with anarchical ideology.

Intimidating is the best way to describe them. As they both walk, the shackles on their wrists and ankles jingle, though I find it difficult to believe that such little chains are enough to immobilize such large men. I almost believe that if they wanted to, all they'd have to do is yank their arms and they'd be free. The chains would just snap.

They each reach where I am sitting and take their seats across from me. One continues to glare – unsure most likely – while the other's expression softens, but I can't tell which is which. I can't tell who is who.

It is the scowling twin that speaks first. "You the interviewer?"

Right. My role. "Yes. My name is Miss Hinode, and I'm a journalist for Suisha Daily here to interview you each. I hope that's alright."

I can feel the guard's eyes remain trained on us as he stands in the corner. A safety measure, I'm sure, but I can't say or do anything with him in here. I need him gone, but how? What can I say to get him –

"Why does Suisha want to interview us?" the scowling brother asks.

And then there's the fact that the twins have no idea who I am or why I'm here. Which can't be addressed until the guards are out of earshot. So, it's all one giant circle that I can't break until something gives.

I smile. "The people want to know what led two fine gentlemen such as yourselves to join an organization such as the MLA."

The first brother – the scowler – shifts as the second speaks. "Why would the people want to know that?"

"You two are from a prestigious family in Kyoto," I say, keeping my tone friendly and professional. "People want to know why you went from being promising future CEOs to anarchical ideologists."

The scowler narrows his eyes. "Is that really a question? Can't you see it? Can't anyone see it? This system is broken. There is no freedom or liberation in it. We are all so brainwashed and reliant on it that we might as well be drones."

Shivers run down my spine. Such an awoken perspective. He gets it – they both do. They see every bit as much as I do. This system is so broken and twisted that the common people don't understand they're living in a contorted reality. They are not free. They are trapped, just slaves to a hierarchy that collapsed in on itself years ago.

And I see why we need them. With their quirks and their shared mentality, reaching our goal isn't just a pipe dream. It is a manifesto in the flesh.

And that is my task. To get these two out of here. Even with the guards. Even with the cameras. Even with the drones and guns. And I think I know how.

"Well," I say, digging into my bag. I fish out a piece of paper and pen, "let me just jot that down."

But I'm not. I'm not writing that. Instead, I'm scribbling my best introduction. My real introduction. Who I am. Who I'm here with. Why I'm here. How I plan to execute that mission. I write it all down, then look at them, then back at the paper, then them again. I can't slide it across to them without attracting the guard's interest. So, I hope they catch on to what I'm doing.

The second brother – the quieter one – catches on first and glimpses down. His brother takes notice and follows his lead. It takes them a moment to read what I've written – especially upside down – but once they realize it, I can see flickers of light in their eyes.