Chapter 27: Blue Hate

Illika

Toga and I return to base before nightfall.

All is quiet. Mostly, anyway. Outside, the only noises that can be heard are the rustling of the overhead tree branches and the hushed murmurs of any lingering PLF members heading on their various ways home. But aside from that, it is still.

Inside, not much is different. Much like outside, it is relatively quiet in here, with only the low conversations of any members still moseying about. Most take notice of me and Toga. Even with her disguise, they still throw sharp glares at her. Glares that are cold and wicked, but she seems unfazed. Unbothered. Or just plain uninterested.

At some point, as we make our way deeper into the lobby, Toga yawns and says her nightly farewell, then waves and dashes away. I just smile. I know why she's in a hurry. Her disguise is about to melt away. She's reached her limit with it. And I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to be standing in a puddle of muck in the middle of the lobby either.

So, I walk on, eventually making my way to the dining hall. Inside, only a few people are gathered at a table. They hear me and look up, glaring. I guess I've solidified my own placement in this organization when I became close with Toga and the others. I have labeled myself as an outsider.

Though, I suppose I was already wearing that title when I arrived here. Can't be much more of an outsider than a foreigner parading around. Still, I hate that mentality. I might not be native to Japan, but I can't really say I truly am an American, either. I can't really say I'm a citizen to any one country. Anywhere I lay my head is home. At least, for a little while, anyway.

Still feeling their sharp glares on my back, I walk over to a kiosk and grab a few snacks. After that, I turn and flash the table of irritated members with a friendly smile. Their scowls only deepen, but I don't care. If they're going to be angry, might as well give them something to be angry at. Right?

They mutter and complain, but turn away, so I do the same, leaving with my snacks. With each tick of the clock, the quieter the building becomes. Which is to be expected. Not everyone lives within these walls. Most people have their own homes, actually. People such as the double-agent heroes and even the villains all prefer life outside these walls at night.

Not us, though.

Toga, Jin, Dabi, Compress, Spinner, Tomura, and I. We all have suites within this building, as does Re-Destro and a few of his loyal people, but not many. I guess that's mixing play with work, but I don't mind it. It's better than crashing in a random hotel.

I start the journey for my room, passing by several areas. The hall. A few different conference rooms. And then one of the balconies. That's when I stop, seeing someone standing on it.

A familiar tall frame stands, leaning with his arms resting on the cement banister as his hair blows in the breeze. His back is to me, his focus seemingly trained on the sky, which is growing darker and darker. I knit my brows and move closer, slipping through the door as I speak.

"Dabi? What are you doing out here?"

He turns, looking at me over his shoulder briefly before looking back at the sky, replying, "Am I not allowed outside?"

"Didn't say that. Just curious," I say, standing next to him. I take a deep breath, smelling the spring evening. "It feels good out here. I don't blame you for wanting to be outside."

He says nothing. Not surprising. For as long as I've been here, Dabi has not been a man of many words. Sure, he talks and does have his chatty moments, but in general, he is quiet. At least, around me he is.