Chapter 22: Liking Danger

Illika

They hadn't looked thrilled.

The twins. Asahi and Akihiko. Mirage and Blain. They had not looked happy. Not in the least.

I saw it. I saw the way they glared at Tomura and the others. There were sharp shards of glass in their stares. There was venom in their tones with every word they spoke. There was frustration and irritation. There was hate.

I shiver, blinking away the image of the Nakamura brothers, then take a deep breath. The spring air is warm and fresh in my lungs, the scent of approaching rain teetering on the breeze. Streaks of pink and purple dust across the clouds as the sun begins its dive beneath the horizon. Birds squawk and chirp as they glide above. The noises of spring.

After we returned from the mission, I decided that a breather outside is just what I need to regather myself. To gather my thoughts. After all, today was... It was a lot. There was high stress and even higher tension at times, and I'm feeling it.

I smile.

But even so. Today felt like I was actually doing something. It felt like I was actually contributing. And it felt like we were actually making a difference. Or maybe just raising hell, but we have to raise hell to make a change. And I'll take that. I'll do that. I'll keep doing that.

"Wasn't expecting to find you out here."

A smooth voice glides through the air before settling in my ears, sending shivers down my spine. I already know who it is. I knew the moment the first word left his tongue. But I still turn.

Tomura stands behind me, the sun's fleeting light kissing his pale features, giving him this golden glow. It makes him look warm. It makes him look so warm, but I already know how warm he is. My skin still remembers the feeling of his fingertips. I remember the heat which radiated off him.

Shivers run down my spine, but I brush any images and thoughts away. I just sweep them all under the rug and shrug.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't like spending all my time in my room."

"Didn't say anything about that," he says. He makes his way closer to me, though he is about an arm's length away. So close, yet so far. "Just didn't think anyone would be out here."

"What were you expecting?"

He shrugs. "Not sure. Everyone else is inside celebrating the mission's success. Guess I thought everyone would be there."

He is right about that. After we returned, most of the circle I have come to know went into the hall and started pouring drinks. The twins went too, though they remained close to Re-Destro's sides. Even now, I can still recall the irritation in their eyes.

"I might head that way in a bit," I say. "I just needed a breather."

"You did a quite a bit today." He looks up at the sky just as a breeze blows, whisking strands of his hair. "Granted, it wasn't flawless. There were still some things that could have been done better."

I knit my brows. "Things that could've been done better? What do you mean by that?"

"Things were still a bit too chaotic at District Nine, especially when you three were making your escape."

I don't know why, but hearing this causes a wave of heat to wash over my face as irritation pricks my skin. I glare at him, throwing sharp glances.

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear anyone else throwing out ideas," I snap. "Not good ideas, anyway."

"There was too much of a scene."

"It was stealthier than what Twice and Toga had in mind. Those two were ready to just charge in and storm the place. At least the building is still standing."