Chapter 32: Beyond the Smoke and Dust

Illika

Sex.

That word rolls through the air, hissing in the breeze, popping like grease as the smell of sweat lingers.

It comes easily. Naturally, even. Taking my clothes off. Letting him see and touch me, fucking me as if I'm a porn star. A piece of meat. Rough and aggressive. I like it that way. Not thinking. Not feeling. Not feeling anything aside from each thrust. Listening to each grunt.

We've begun to hook up more over the last week since our agreement. Almost daily, maybe sometimes twice in one day. He always approaches me with an invitation, and we go somewhere. The library. An empty meeting room. In one of the many hall bathrooms with the door locked. We've fucked on two of the balconies. He screwed me on a random desk in a spare office. He even covered my mouth as he fucked me in a dead-end hallway.

And each time I've been left breathless with my head spinning as sweat glossed my skin. Always smiling. Always echoing with euphoria. And he'd always tell me the same thing: to get cleaned up and dressed before anyone saw.

But I'm not worried. Whenever we are gathered with the others, no one seems suspicious. They don't look or talk to us any differently. No one even raises the question. They are merely oblivious.

But even with the sex, he has been busy with the PLF's agenda. When we're not fucking in a random nook in the building, he's off with Re-Destro or Dabi or Mr. Compress, discussing upcoming plans. He doesn't tell me about said plans. I don't ask. It's just sex, and when there is none, I am just a simple member of the PLF, here contributing to the cause.

But today... Today is different.

As I have walked through this building, I have taken notice of how empty it is. I have passed several PLF members, but compared to any other day, I have seen far less than the norm. In fact, as I have walked through these halls, I have seen mainly faces I do not know as well.

I haven't seen high or low of the little group I have come to know. Toga has not popped up anywhere. Twice has not greeted me. Dabi has not trudged by. Compress has not said his salutations. Spinner hasn't appeared with his slowly warming smile. I haven't even heard Re-Destro's voice booming through the halls. No one. None of them have come across my radar. None have appeared.

I walk deeper into the building, walking down halls, passing different conference and recreational rooms. All the while, it grows emptier and emptier – quieter and quieter. No sight of anyone I know. That is until I come across one of the recreational rooms, and even then, who I see in there is not someone I expect.

Neither of them are.

Situated in two overly stuffed gaming chairs, playing some kind of racing video game are both Mirage and Blain. Asahi and Akihiko Nakamura.

They don't notice me at first, or at least, don't acknowledge me. They are both too wrapped up in the game they're playing, their focuses too fixated on the oversize TV. So, I break that distant silence.

"Hey Asahi, Akihiko," I say with a smile, waving at them as I move closer. "What are you two up to?"

One of the twins – Akihiko, I believe – glances quickly at me before turning back to the game. He answers quickly. "We're playing a game."

"Why?" asks Asahi. He doesn't look at me. Not even a peep.

I shrug. "Just curious." I look around the room. No one else is here. "Where is everyone?"

"Don't know," replies Akihiko – Blain.

"And don't care," adds Asahi – Mirage. He finally glimpses at me. "Why you askin'?"