Oh, Hello

"Flower!"

"Flower!"

Ophelia hears Evan calling for her. She giggles when Flower sits up on the bed, grabs Austin's hat in her mouth and then burrows under the pillow behind her back. She has never taken to Evan no matter how hard he tries, and he tries very hard with her because he knows how much she means to Ophelia. They have been dating for a year now and she has been really happy with him. He is kind and sweet and treats her really well.

"Ah, there you are. I have been looking for Flower. I bought her a gift, look!" he says climbing on the bed and lying down next to Ophelia. Ophelia giggles and points to Flowers tail pointing out from under the pillow. He sighs and hands Ophelia the new chew toy he had bought her. "I don't know why she hates me. I am always nice to her, I swear," he says. "I know. She just doesn't like everyone...she will come around," Ophelia says kissing him on the head. "It's been a year, darling, I think we are past the point of her coming around, and she does not hate everyone - just me," he says with a pout. "Well, I don't hate you," Ophelia says putting down the remote. "You don't hate anyone," he says pulling her to him and kissing her. They roll on the bed and suddenly the tv turns on and Austin's voice comes booming through the speakers as he sings, making them jump apart. Flower shoots out from under the pillow and runs to the end of the bed, sitting down and wagging her tail as she watches him. "We must have rolled on the remote and changed the channel," Ophelia says reaching for Evan again but he rolls away and stands. "Ophelia, we need to talk," he says, looking at Flower. "Oh, please don't be upset. She just likes his music. I will turn it off...see it's off," she says as Flower stands and starts barking at the tv. "Just...just put it back on for her, please," Evan says sitting back down on the bed. Ophelia puts the tv on and turns it down low, she might sneak a look at Austin as she does. Flower stops barking and sits down to watch with a wagging tail.

"Ophelia, we do need to talk...it's been a long time coming," Evan says softly. "Ok, what you like to talk about?" Ophelia asks putting the remote on the bedside table and then looking at Evan.

"What are we?"

"We are dating, silly."

"Are we? Because dating leads to living together and even marriage. Have you ever thought of our future?"

"Well, yes. But I told you last time that I am not ready to move in with you and marriage...I don't know if I want that."

"But, sweetheart, you won't even let me sleep in your bedroom. When you know I am coming over you move yourself into this spare room."

Ophelia bites her lip and looks down. She doesn't want to hurt him, she really likes him, but there are some things she is taking a little longer to let go of. "I am sorry, I don't mean to make you feel upset or uncomfortable in my home. I never meant for that," she whispers. Evan looks at her and then wraps his arms around her. "You haven't. You are wonderful and amazing. I just want more...I love you, Ophelia, very much," he whispers into the top of her head. Ophelia's heart drops. He said it, he said he loves her. She has been trying so hard all year to love him but all she has got was really, really like. She had hoped he would give her more time. She pulls out of his arms and looks up at him, hope is what she sees in his eyes. Hope that she will say it back. She could,  but that would be unfair and wrong. Evan sighs and kisses her forehead.

"But you don't love me, do you?"

"Oh, I am so sorry, Evan."

"Don't be, sweetheart, you have been so sweet. You are so lovely that I am prepared to stay with you even if you don't love me."

"You would?"

"I would...but it's been pretty crowded in this relationship," he says looking at Austin's hat near her hand.