Dinglehoppers and Great Company!

Hi there, my lovely and faithful readers. I wanted to just say a note of gratitude to each one of you who has read and followed this story since its first publication. I have reworked this story multiple times, and I feel that this is the best version of it I can publish right now. I am not sure when my new chapters will be up, but I have through chapter 12 drafted. Good things come to those who wait, and I appreciate your patience.

Again, I own nothing except my creativity and plot. TLM characters and lines belong to Disney. This chapter is again dedicated to Jodi and CDB.

Chapter 4: Dinglehoppers and Great Company

     Ariel smiled at Eric and gave him a warm hug as Grimsby opened the front door. "May I introduce Mr. and Mrs. Barnson." Grimsby said as Chris and Jodi followed closely behind. All four faces lit up like children on Christmas morning as they exchanged handshakes and hugs. Jodi and Chris are Eric and Ariel's best human friends and the foursome loved to go on adventures together as well as celebrate birthdays and other such occasions. In the three years of their relationship, Ariel and Eric met several people who only wanted to know if the rumors were true. But with Jodi and Chris, there was a level of acceptance and respect of merpeople and merculture that appealed to both Ariel and Eric. Needless to say, it was an instant connection that would last a lifetime, and onward? Ariel was one of Jodi's bridesmaids in her wedding, and Eric, Chris' groomsman. Tonight Jodi came wearing a summery green silk dress and Chris, a cream-colored sweater over a black shirt and black pants.

     As the clock displayed 6:15, the group ushered into the salon and began chatting over tapenade, as well as the local cheese Ariel, had picked up earlier in the day. Eric opened the bottle of white grape spritz that they had in the fridge and poured four glasses and passed them around. "This is delicious Eric," Jodi said taking a sip from her glass. "Thanks, it is actually one of my good friend's vineyards that made it. He said that the grapes were very good this year." Eric replied as he popped the remainder of his cracker in his mouth. "Well I agree with my beautiful wife on this one, it is good." Chris chimed in. Jodi nuzzled against his chest, cheek against soft cashmere.

     As the night progressed the friends walked into the dining hall and feasted on Chef Louis' creations of grilled chicken and salad with sides of summer corn salsa. The palace used to serve seafood, but Ariel and Eric decided not to out of respect for the citizens of Ariel's homeland. Jodi asked Ariel about how the remodel was going, and how her sisters were. In return, Ariel asked Jodi how her and Chris' daughter Delaney was doing, putting her hand on Jodi's growing bump. "Ohh she's definitely growing I feel it every day," Jodi said. Being only three months pregnant, Jodi was nothing but excited for her baby girl to be in her arms. "That's good," Ariel said then looking at her hands knotted in her lap. She knew that she and Eric wanted a baby eventually but not now, We just got married, she thought to herself. She knew that there was an expectation as the new queen to produce an heir, yet she and Eric have always been ones to test the limits of the legislature of the kingdom. Perhaps we can talk about this soon. Ariel thought to herself, she then shook her head and regained a role in the conversation. The guys were standing at the window and talking about Eric launching his new ship next month while watching the tide ebb and flow.

     "Ariel how is your father? I have not heard from him since our wedding," Chris asked her as they ate dessert on the patio. "He's doing well Chris, he is very busy preparing Atlantica for the upcoming festivities. Plus he has to deal with all of my sisters" Ariel said with a chuckle as she and Eric joined Jodi and Chris on the patio. Max had been following the group and was behind Ariel like a shadow. Ariel always had a passion for animals and she loved Max because he was the one who brought Eric to her.

     It was around 10:30 when Jodi hinted to Chris that they should go. "Ariel, Eric thank you so much we had the best time," Chris said as they exchanged hugs. "You know you two are always welcome Chris. I still owe you a day on the water." Eric replied as he patted Max on the head. Chris gave a shining smile, "I'll hold ya to that, and I'll bring the beer!" and the two were off for the night.

      As she prepared for bed, Ariel was much quieter than normal, using a dinglehopper to absentmindedly brush her hair. She looked in the mirror and shuttered, as she recounted the night when she almost lost the most important person in her life all because of what she had done. Although Eric had assured her that he would battle a million sea witches for her, Ariel still wondered if her father was right all along. She loved Eric of course, but her gut was telling her that there is something going on. Was it fear of the unknown? Was Ursula not really dead? She shook herself out of the rabbit hole and sought out her prince, dog, and bed.

      After Eric bid the staff good night and thanked them for the dinner, and then headed to his awaiting beloved. He reached the bedroom and paused upon reaching the doorway, was she humming? He saw Ariel with her eyes closed sitting on the bay window sill, with Max snoozing at her feet, postured toward the ocean. Admiring the moonlight bouncing off her scarlet waves, Eric walked over and enveloped her in a warm embrace. Without another word, he picked her up, dropping the fork on the dresser. He laid her down on their bed and tucked her in. After changing into pajama shorts, he joined her, hugging her close to him and turned out the light.

Until Next Time,

Never stop chasing your dreams
Peace, Love & Happy Reading

~XOXO DisneySoul4996