Chapter 27. The Best Is Yet to Come (Sexual content)

As they waited outside the barn for their cue to enter Bucky took Lacey's hand and kissed it

"Thank you again," he said.

"For what?" she asked, puzzled.

"For not hitting me with the shovel while I lay on the garage floor," he said. "I had almost reached the end of my limit when I saw your brother leave the garage door open. I had been chased, shot, chilled by the swim to Staten Island, soaked by the rain, and had almost no energy left because I hadn't eaten in two days. Then you came into the garage, wearing only your pyjamas, grabbing that shovel and by the look on your face you were ready to use it. I just wanted it to be over."

"I wouldn't have," replied Lacey. "I was terrified, hoping you would just get up and run past me. Then you spoke, I saw your eyes, and I knew you wouldn't hurt me."

Bucky smiled, remembering that morning. "You offered me a hand up, put your arm around my waist, while I leaned on you," he said softly. "For such a small woman you had such strength. You still do."

"You can always lean on me, Bucky," she said, touching his face with her hand. "I'll lean on you when I need to as well."

"Always," he said, kissing the top of her head.

Sam rolled his eyes at the display. "So, what song are we using to enter?" he asked, in anticipation. "Something Motown, R & B?"

Bucky looked at him with a twinkle in his eyes. "Sam, you are looking at a woman who loves big band music as much as I do," he said. "She came up with the song and I loved it."

Sam looked at Lacey in confusion. "I looked after my grandpa while he was dying," she said. "He had so many LP records, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin ... I could go on for hours. He wanted to hear them all before he died. When I first came here to the farm, I couldn't bring them with me, but Maria Hill offered to keep them in a safe place. She was as good as her word and they were delivered to me in Philadelphia a couple of months ago, along with all of my books."

"Okay, but what song?" he asked, almost in desperation.

Lacey laughed. "It's called Ain't That a Kick in the Head by Dean Martin," replied Lacey. "Bucky and I are going to do some choreographed moves to it. You and everyone else in the wedding party will be called in before us and can enjoy our performance like the wedding guests. Trust me, Sam, the lyrics fit our situation so well. Oh, and I promised Maria you would dance with her later. She kind of likes you."

Sam seemed taken aback by that, then a slow smile spread across his face. The cue was given, the other members of the bridal party came in, were introduced, and took their seats then the music started. The wedding guests never knew what hit them as Bucky and Lacey performed a dance to the lyrics and tempo of the song. Even Sam was blown away as he watched Bucky - stoic, grumpy, Bucky, dance like someone on Dancing with the Stars. When the song ended, and everyone was in a standing ovation, he clapped Bucky on the back.