Box Jellyfish

This is a character based off of the box jellyfish

Those of you who aren't Australian (which I have to assume is all of you) may not be familiar with the box jellyfish

Those of you who aren't Australian (which I have to assume is all of you) may not be familiar with the box jellyfish.  It is commonly regarded as the worlds most venomous marine animal.  They have four tentacles which each are covered in stinging cells capable of killing a grown adult within five minutes.

They are typically not very large, but the largest species can measure to roughly a foot in diameter, and possess tentacles that span up to ten feet long. 

Us Australians grew up being warned about these animals, as they are relatively common in tropical waters.

Aside from all of the death and destruction the box jellyfish is actually fascinating for one other reason: they have eyes. 
Despite having no observable nervous system or brain, box jellyfish possess six eye clusters each containing four very simple eyes capable of observing light.

It is an incredibly unique trait for any species of cnidarian (jellyfish, siphonophores, anemones, corals) to possess. 

They are also capable of changing direction when swimming, which is a trait that no other species of jellyfish has ever exhibited. 
Box jellyfish are in fact rather agile swimmers, and it has been suggested by marine scientists that box jellyfish are active hunters, as opposed to ambush predators like their jellyfish relatives.

Perhaps my drawing doesn't really put the fear of God into you like a real box jellyfish typically would but personally when I think of box jellyfish, I can't help but think of what is perhaps an example of a primitive intelligence.

In my story the Medusa are a large group of jellyfish and siphonophore themed humanoids who all more or less live under one hivemind.  Fleckeri, my box jellyfish character as seen above, is the only Medusa I have depicted as having eyes.  (Man O' War is the only other Medusa character I have shown in this journal so far).  I can't help but imagine her as a Medusa who, for whatever reason, has broken away from the hivemind, and thus is now travelling towards a life of free thought and individualism.

Thank you for reading my weird wattpad thesis lol, I just think these freaks are neat.