Glasne

Recently I got kinda into the giant oarfish.  I don't think that there is any species of fish that is surrounded by so much legend and mystique. 

A lot of people will insist that this fish singlehandedly inspired sea serpent legends around the world (which I am personally a little skeptical of, but regardless). 

They have a level of aloof obscurity that feels rivalled only by the colossal squid.  They are very rarely seen in their natural environment, which is typically around 200 metres to 1000 metres below sea level.  This makes up the Twilight Zone, or the mesopelagic zone, which is a zone in the ocean between the sunlit epipelagic (sunlight) zone, where the sun is brightest in the ocean, and the bathypelagic (midnight) zone, where light ceases to penetrate.

These fish swim vertically in the water.  They can reach up to eleven metres (35 feet) in length. 
They are a part of what is called the diel vertical migration, which is the largest and most invisible mass migration on the planet.  Where every night, marine animals travel from the abyss up to the surface to feed of plankton, and then return to the deep come sunrise. 

They have no scales.  Instead their skin is covered with what Wikipedia tells me is "easily abraded, silvery ganoine."  Which I guess is suppose to be a type of fish tissue?  Google started talking about DNA and RNA and fish evolution and it was all a bit too complex for me for this particular day. 

They are bioluminescent, with the lovely blue and black photophores along the sides of their bodies.

Their faces are really weird looking and very difficult to draw lol.  

They have glorious red manes which give them the nickname "rooster fish"

Their scientific name is Regalecus Glasne.

They are the longest species of bony fish that we know of.

I like to imagine that this dude would go as a pair.  With this guy being the 'king of the night' and the beloved Mola Mola being the 'queen of the day'.  I think it could be fun lol