21.

Jackson was slowly entering the spring season. The snow was melting, the sun was reminding people about itself, and the buds on the trees started to be more visible. With this, unfortunately, the groups around town were active too. Both, the groups of people and the infected. To secure things around the town, the group of people, including Joel and Ellie, left for a couple of weeks to patrol the woods. During that time all Hope could do was drown in the tasks. With the absence of both, Joel and Ellie, life for a brunette seemed to be the same as it was before they arrived in town. And it was totally different.

The lack of communication between the people was the worst thing after the apocalypse. If before, people could send a message, or just call to let each other know what is going on, today was totally different. Well, sending a bird with the letter also could be an option, but not very successful for sure. There were more wounded people these days. So, Hope had enough options on how to make herself busy. As for Ellie and Joel, living a normal life was always hard for both of them. Not to run away somewhere away, or not to disappear to kill a couple of infected around and come back as if nothing happened. So, this mission was like a breath of fresh air for both of them. It was a good opportunity to prepare for summer, give their respect to the people of Jackson for letting them in, and do what they could do the best. Survive.

Joel came back home during the night just to find the coldness and emptiness inside. He understood that the girl was at the hospital, and a good opportunity to take some rest, get rid of all the signs of living in the woods for a long time, and greet her in the morning. However, at lunchtime, the suspense started growing in him when Hope didn't come back. The man decided to see the town, visit the market, and then the hospital on the way back home.

-    C'mon girl, we have to go home, - Joel walked inside the building where thankfully, he has never been before. It was quiet inside. Most of the patients were sleeping. A girl was sitting with her side facing the door, and enjoying her cup of coffee before anybody needed her help.

-    I am not done with the things here, - Hope looked up at him, trying to hide the fact that she was happy to see him alive, and at the first sign unwounded. But, there she had to be professional.

-    Don't make me do this, - The man looked at her with his usual seriousness, showing her that he was definitely not playing games. Understanding that they could argue about this for a long time, he lifted her up just to put the girl over his shoulder and leave the hospital.

-    Joel put me down on the ground! – She hit him not too hard on the back, but quickly gave up, understanding how pathetic would it look from the side.

-    I am happy to see you after a long time too, Hope, - He smirked to himself, he looked around to see that no one was watching them, and left a soft slap on her ass, as they headed back home.