11| 𝔩𝔶𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞

winterfell, westeros

— WHEN SHE HEARD TYRION LANNISTER WAS APPROACHING WINTERFELL, LYANNA COULDN'T KEEP QUIET ANY LONGER. Marianna had become her best friend – right alongside Jay, of course, and how could she just keep a truth from her best friend that concerned both of their families? She doubted she or Robb would be able to keep up the pretence of a warm welcome, and Marianna would wonder what was wrong.

"Your mother... She thinks the Lannisters tried to kill Bran?" Her brows had furrowed, turning her normally-soft features to a confused and slightly hurt frown. "Why would they do that? Why would anyone want to hurt a ten-year-old boy?"

Lyanna shook her head. "I don't know, but this all started not long after you all arrived. It's only logical. Bran has climbed a thousand times and never fallen."

Marianna's eyes widened. "You don't think I..."

"No!" She replied hurriedly, taking her friend's hands. "No, of course not. You saved mother's life. But... she doesn't trust the Lannisters, and they have the resources to hire an assassin all the way up here. She thought that maybe Bran found out something he shouldn't have – some secret they wanted to keep safe."

The princess' eyes turned deep and thoughtful at that, though no less troubled. "My family does have many secrets..." She admitted quietly. "I'm sure a fair few of them would be deemed worth killing for." She sighed. "I truly hope it wasn't them. Wars have been started for less."

Lyanna had nodded. "I don't want war either, Marie."

Now she made her way through the corridors to Bran's room to fetch him, Hodor and Zalia on her heels. She rapped twice before entering, giving her brother a little smile. "We have visitors."

"I don't want to see anyone." He replied stubbornly.

She tilted her head sympathetically. "Come on, Bran. You don't want to stay cooped up in here all day."

"Maybe I just wish everyone else would disappear so I could leave without seeing them."

She smiled at that, sitting on the edge of the bed and running a hand between Summer's ears and down her cheek. "Well, unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Robb's waiting for us."

"I don't want to see anyone."

"Neither do I," She admitted. "But Robb is Lord of Winterfell, which means we both do as he asks us. Marie will be there too." He seemed to brighten at least a little at that, and she called in Hodor to carry the boy to the Hall. Lyanna arrived just moments before them, moving to sit next to Marianna, who sat to Robb's left. Zalia trotted over to Grey Wind, who seemed pleased to have her company.

"I must say," Lord Tyrion articulated, eyes sliding from his niece to Robb. "I received a slightly warmer welcome on my last visit."

"Any man of the Night's Watch is welcome at Winterfell." Robb nodded at the man next to the small Lord, who returned the gesture.

"Any man of the Night's Watch, but not I, eh, boy?"

"I'm not your boy, Lannister." He replied coldly. "I'm Lord of Winterfell while my father is away." Lyanna saw Marianna's eyes flicker between Robb and Tyrion with concern.

"Then you might learn a lord's courtesy." The doors opened again and Hodor entered with Bran and Summer. Tyrion muttered something Lyanna couldn't hear before calling out in greeting. "Hello, Bran. Do you remember anything about what happened?"

"He has no memory of that day." Maester Luwin replied.

"Curious."

"Why are you here?" Robb finally demanded, but the little Lannister still had his eyes on Bran.

"Would your charming companion be so kind as to kneel? My neck is beginning to hurt."

"Kneel, Hodor." He did.

"Do you like to ride, Bran?"

"Yes. Well, I mean, I did like to."

"The boy has lost the use of his legs." Maester Luwin spoke again.

"What of it? With the right horse and saddle, even a cripple can ride."

"I'm not a cripple." Bran protested.

"Then I'm not a dwarf." Tyrion exclaimed. "My father will rejoice to hear it." Marianna's lips pressed together, holding back a smile. "I have a gift for you." He offered a scroll, which Bran took. "Give that to your saddler. He'll provide the rest. You must shape the horse to the rider. Start with a yearling and teach it to respond to the reins and to the boy's voice."

Bran unrolled the paper, eyes lightening at what he found there. "Will I really be able to ride?"

"You will. On horseback, you'll be as tall as any of them."

"Is this some kind of trick?" Robb scowled, still suspicious. "Why would you want to help him?"

"Robb." Marianna whispered, so soft Lyanna barely heard it.

"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards and broken things."

The young lord seemed to relent, heeding both Tyrion's earlier advice and Marianna's precautious whisper. "You've done my brother a kindness. The hospitality of Winterfell is yours."

"Spare me your false courtesies, Lord Stark. There's a brothel outside your walls. There I will find a bed, and we can both sleep easier."

When he left, Marianna stood. "Excuse me, Lord Stark."

He nodded, not meeting her eyes. "Of course, Princess."

Once she too had gone, Lyanna raised a brow at her brother. "Back to 'Princess'? I thought you two were past that a long time ago." His mouth pressed into a hard line, eyes cast down at the table before him. Lyanna's eyes widened. "You can't seriously think she had anything to do with that attack?"

"I didn't say that!" He protested. "I just don't see how the Lannister's snuck an assassin all the way from the gates of Winterfell into Bran's room."

"She almost died, Robb." Lyanna huffed. "If summer hadn't gotten there in time, you'd no longer have any reason to suspect your betrothed."

He sighed heavily, the sound almost irritated. "I know."

She reached across the table to take his hand. "So make it right. You don't want this in the air between you. Talk to her, go out riding with her, do something."

He nodded, finally looking up at her. "I will."