03.5. Thank You

-Three weeks prior to their goodbye-

Aile was sitting on a wooden stool behind the counter as always. She was staring intently with her brows arched at some bronze coins in front of her.

Aile ruffled her napkin veiled hair peevishly before she desperately stamped her face on the counter.

Clank clank!

"Welcome..." She murmured without lifting up her face.

"Hey Aile! Aile, hey?" Isabel's cheerful voice could be heard.

"Is she sleeping? In the middle of the day?" Next it was Farlan's inquiring voice.

"She isn't. Probably it's just her usual 'I-don't-have-enough-money-to-restock' thing." Lastly, Levi's nonchalant voice echoed.

Isabel smirked at Levi's comment. "I see! Heh, you are so predictable, Aile!"

"It isn't!" Aile jolted up from the counter and slammed it. "...Uh, well, that's true but... A-Anyway, it's worser than that!"

"Worser? I don't even think that's a word anymore," Farlan playfully teased her. Aile pouted, her arms crossed. "Screw you, I'm damn serious here."

The three smirked. "So then, what could be even worse than your usual?" Farlan decided to listen to the auburn woman.

Aile rested her cheek on her left hand lazily, while tapping her right fingers repeatedly on the counter, creating a rattling sound. "Say... you guys know about the 'Invincible Trio'?"

The three briefly exchanged looks.

'The Invincible Trio' was a recent name given by some other thugs in the lower floor of the underground to the three. The trio got the name because of their numerous cunning victories against the MP, and their overwhelming prowess amongst the people of the underground.

Isabel immediately grinned from ear to ear. "Yeah, of course we know that awesome group!"

"Awesome? The hell?" Aile unexpectedly snapped at them as she sat upright. "Look at what those bitches did to my savings!" She gestured at the bronze coins on top the counter. "They robbed me, for fuck's sake!"

"Whoa there, calm down!" Farlan lifted up his hands in front of his chest while Isabel nodded repeatedly. "Yeah! And what did you mean by robbing?"

Aile let out a long sigh before resting her cheek against the counter. "They first came here last week," she began. "And they come back everyday to ask for more money."

Farlan and Isabel frowned unpleasantly. They hated it when someone used their name for doing nasty things. Especially, when their friend is the target of their crime.

"And you give them the money?" Levi plainly asked.

Aile lazily picked the coins up and stored them back in a jar. "What can I do? They threaten to crush this place if I don't."

"Isn't that the same?" Levi narrowed his eyes. "Without money you can't restock. Then, your store will soon die of bankruptcy, because there's nothing to sell." Levi stated. "On the other hand, they'll crush this place if you refuse to give your money away."

Levi then crossed his arms. "So either it dies slowly, or instantly."

"Oi, Levi..." Farlan looked at him with widened eyes. Levi ignored him. He kept his stare planted on Aile, waiting for her to reply.

Aile sighed with her gaze averted from Levi. "Yeah. Personally I think dying instantly is way much more comfortable, but... I can't let this store die yet." She murmured slowly.