05. The Wings of Reunion

"Your gear will be confiscated. I hope you don't mind."

The three glowered at Erwin once their handcuffed hands were released.

"You'll be leaving today. One of my subordinate will be escorting you to the surface," Erwin said as his squad lined behind him.

Erwin looked at his subordinates. "You do it, Ron." "Yes sir." The man who handcuffed Farlan answered. Erwin nodded, then glanced at Aile. "And for you, Aile,"

Aile lifted up her face. "Yes sir?"

"Meet us at the rendezvous point five minutes from now," he said.

Aile looked a bit surprised, but she quickly regained her composure. "Yes, sir." She answered plainly.

Erwin nodded. He glanced one last time at Levi before pulling his trigger. As he maneuvered, his squad minus Aile followed after him.

Now it was just the four again.

Levi studied her. Aile looked different in uniform, with her usually loose hair tied into a left side high ponytail. Her always smiling lips were replaced by straight line, and her gaze looked as cold as the snow.

"...It's been a while," she was the one to speak first.

"Yeah," Levi replied. "Never thought that you're the corps' dog this whole time."

Aile narrowed her eyes. "I know. Squad leader always told me that I'm good at concealing my tail."

Aile then looked at Isabel, who kept her stare planted to the ground. "Isabel, did you cut your hair?"

The girl flinched, but she didn't reply.

Aile let out a disguised sigh. "Is that so? But I always think that your hair is pretty, regardless..." "The hell you want now?" Farlan broke in, his glare locked onto the woman. "Stay out of our business. You're no longer our comrade anymore."

Aile stared blankly at him. Then, slowly she started to laugh.

"What are you joking about, Farlan?" Aile raised her hands, while looking at Farlan with disdaining chuckle. "We'll become comrades again at the corps, don't you remember?"

Farlan grimaced. "You bitch."

"Whoa there, that's improper way to call your old friend," Aile grinned mockingly. As her grin started to fade, Aile slowly reached her vest and took out a certain silver watch.

The three raised their faces, noticing the watch in Aile's right hand.

"...Three minutes, huh." She mumbled after taking a look at the moving hands. "It's weird how time really flies when you enjoy it, isn't it?"

The three watched Aile pocketed the watch. "I'll be off, then," she glanced at Levi. "...Meet my comrade at the stairs to the surface after you have cleaned yourself."

Without waiting for a reply, Aile quickly pulled the trigger and flew past Levi.

---------

The sound of the moving carriage escorted the three along their way to the Survey Corps Headquarters. Levi and Farlan were busy with their own thoughts, while Isabel kept her eyes and jaw opened widely through the window.

"You wait here," once they had arrived at the HQ, the guy who was tasked to escort them said before walking inside.

"...Oi, Levi," Farlan worriedly called Levi after making sure the guy had gone. "What did you mean when you said you'll join the corps? Do you actually intend to--"