8

March 31, 2008

Jay had gone home after work, fully expecting his wife and daughter to be there. He didn't see Hailey's car and wondered if she took Kam out to the park or something. But soon, something felt off and he couldn't explain it but he felt like something was wrong.

He decided to call Hailey and got no answer which was weird since she'd sent him a text that she was off the clock. The only other place to call was the faucet and see if Kamryn had been picked up yet.

"Kinder care, how can I help you?" A voice answered.

"I was just wondering if my wife has picked up our daughter yet. Kamryn Halstead?"

"I'm sorry who is this?"

"Sorry. This is Jay Halstead, Kamryn's father," he said, looking outside to see if Hailey had come home yet.

"Let me go check for you," she told him, putting him on hold for a minute before she came back, "Sir?"

"Yes,"

"She is still here,"

"Alright, I'll be on my way soon,"

"Thank you," she nodded, both of them hanging up.

Jay got his keys and headed for the daycare to pick Kamryn up. He immediately parked the car and got out, heading inside and to the toddler area.

"I'm so sorry sweetie," he sighed, lifting the crying toddler as soon as she reached him. "I'm sorry baby. Was she okay?"

"Just emotional," Hannah nodded, "And that didn't start until around 5 so maybe 20 minutes. She'd sit in my lap and calm down though,"

He nodded, "Sorry we kept you here late. I think Hailey and I got our days mixed up,"

"Don't worry about it," she smiled, handing Kamryn's bag over.

"Thanks," he smiled, taking the little one to the car and putting her in her car seat.

He got in and pulled up Hailey's contact, calling her cell phone as he got back in.

"Hey, Hail. It's me, just wondering what's going on. I thought you were on your way to pick up Kam. I have her now. We'll see you at home. Love you," he sighed, hanging up the phone and driving home.

He got Kamryn settled with her toys while he called Sarah to see if she'd heard from Hailey.

"Hello?" Sarah answered, driving home.

"Hey, Sarah. It's Jay. Have you heard from Hailey? She's not home and Kam was still at daycare," he explained, pacing the floor as he waited for an answer.

"I haven't heard from her," Sarah said, "But you know her. She's pretty good about letting you know where she's at. She didn't pick up Kam?"

"No. I called and she was still there. I tried calling hail again, and nothing. It's not like Hailey to just not pick Kam up,"

"No, it's not. Hang on, let me try and call her. I'll call you back,"

"Okay thanks," he nodded, hanging up the phone and sitting on the floor with kamryn.