Chapter 17

"I'm dying. Why'd he answer, get told something, and hang up?" My questions keep coming. Annoying Mya to a point past my annoyance with the whole Griffin and her thing.

   "Look I don't know why the guy did this ok? I also don't know why your in love with him, first he got a different girlfriend, and now he's ghosting everyone."

   "I'm not in love with him."

   "We've talked about this. You are. I'm not judging he is kinda cute, but Griffin is h9t. Anyway just let him cool off, I mean we were told Nina broke up with him so."

   "You're right. It's probably just going to last a couple days. He'll be playing video games with us soon."

                                  ---

   "Quil, Jake it's been a week. Where is he?"

   "I know. He never misses beach day. To be honest though who wouldn't? Even in the cold you surprise us by still wearing a bikini." I hit Quil on the arm. Jake laughs.

   "It's not that. It's been a week. He hasn't talked to any of us. Yet he's back at school with Paul, and Jared? That's weird."

   Quil and Jake share a look. As if that's not the only thing that's changed. Their faces look guilty. My thoughts, and heart race.

    What happened? Did he like get another girlfriend? Did he do something to them? No he hasn't talked to any of us.

    "What happened at school today? Don't say nothing, because I see on your faces something else happened."

   "Sam dropped them off. They are all hanging out with Sam. I thought he hated them! He literally called them hall monitors on steroids, and they got to him! Now he's on ' em too!"

   "Quil? Th-thats true?" He nods. "No. No. I-I he's not that stupid. You guys can't believe that you've been his bestfriends for basically your whole lives. We can't sit here, and say he's switched, and started doing drugs. Not that fast."

   "I'm sorry, but he's changed.  A lot. He's not our Embry anymore. Or your Embry."

   I stand up.

   "Well, we need to find out. Maybe he'll talk to us without his friends around. Joy will be home, he should. I mean she wouldn't let him be out at 7."

   Yeah, we've waited since I got here for him to show up. It's kinda sad that we are just now thinking of going to his house.

   I go to step out the door.

   "Where are you going?" Jake's voice fills my ears with his question.

   "I just said we should go to his house. Where do you think I'm going? The slaughter house?"

   I walk out the door, and Quil runs to follow. Jake closes the door and is left with climbing into the back seat.

  We  start driving, well I start driving.

   I stop the car, on the end of the driveway. I step out, and walk to the door. The other two following in suit.

  I pull my hand into a fist. I hit it against the door, 4 times.

   The door started opening. Joys eyes look at us, and it closes. The chain lock getting connected to its other half.

   What?

   "Joy, we're here for Embry. We were supposed to hangout."

   "He's sick."

   "We saw him at school today," Jake's voice is deadpanning. Telling her that we're not stupid.