The Landlord

It was almost noon when Junkyu woke up, discovering himself on an age old couch, half of his limbs dangling close to the floor. He sat up, his neck, back and legs sore. Rubbing the back of his neck, he blinked. Piles of half unpacked boxes came into view. He sighed, realising that he had accidentally fallen asleep last night when he was midway unpacking his stuff.

Junkyu heard some knocks. He stared at the door cluelessly at first, but soon understood that the probable knocks were what woke him up. He stood up, stretched a bit. He glanced at his room one more time- it was as if a storm had messed up his nest. Shrugging as he had no time to tidy up, he went to get the door only managing to wipe his face and brushing a hand through his hair.

There was the face of a smiling gentle guy, the one Junkyu recognised from last night. His kind neighbor who helped him move all those heavy boxes.

"Mashiho-ssi! Hey!" Junkyu cheered. The short, handsome guy smiled at him, "So you woke up at last! This is the third time I've come to check."

Junkyu scratched his nape in embarrassment, "Yeah... sorry, I'm a heavy sleeper."

Mashiho shooed the concern away, "It's okay, I just came to give you this." He showed a pizza box where three slices of pizza rested, "I thought of asking you to come over, but you were sleeping; so we saved up."

Junkyu took it with a bow of gratitude, "Thanks a lot, Mashiho-ssi. I was a bit hungry, not to lie.... Um.. do you wanna come over?"

"Huh? No. It's fine." Mashiho said, "My boyfriend's waiting for me... Besides, the landlord's gonna come collect the rent so I better go keep it ready."

"The landlord?" Junkyu asked, "Does he come get the rent himself?"

Mashiho nodded, "He's quite strict, but overall, he's a nice guy... You've met him, right?"

"Hm? No. I haven't."

"Then how did you rent this apartment?" Mashiho asked.

"Well... My friend did all the talking. I just came to live here."

"Ohhh." Mashiho said, "Well, even so, I bet everything's gonna be fine. He's a young boy, he'll understand."

"Understand what?" Junkyu asked.

"The situation in your room." Mashiho showed the messy room through the gap of the door. Junkyu's cheeks reddened from embarrassment.

"I- better go clean up!" Junkyu hurriedly spoke, earning a chuckle from his neighbour. The cute, short guy waved bye at him, leaving him to his business. Junkyu sighed again. Just the thought of unpacking gave him enough headache. Why did he possess so much stuff again!?

-

Junkyu heard another knock around that afternoon. He had a fair share of time to shower, eat and even unpack most of his stuff. The room was still messy, but suitable enough to greet a guest. Satisfied with his work, Junkyu went to open the door. He was met with a young boy, as Mashiho had said before. He assumed the tall boy as the landlord.

"Hi, you must be the landlord." Junkyu smiled. The guy only nodded, asking to enter inside the room. Junkyu's first impression about him was- he's Handsome. Like a lot. He had the perfect face- large, almond eyes, high nose, peachy plump lips, a slender but small face, great proportion and yes, a gorgeous voice.

"You moved in last night, right?" Asked the guy. Junkyu replied with a nod.

"Why's your room like this then? Didn't you find enough time to clean up?"

Junkyu gulped a little. It was evident that the guy was way younger than him. But the way he said those words- it seemed like he tried to show some dominance.

"Uh... I overslept." Junkyu answered honestly, "And I'm kinda slow."

"Hm..." The guy nodded, scanning the whole room, "Clean up fast. I don't wanna see any damage caused to this room."

Junkyu felt annoyed, but agreed. He didn't like the environment, so he made an effort to change the topic, "Well, you probably know this but, I'm Kim Junkyu. What's your name? You haven't told me your name yet."

"Haruto." The guy dryly replied. He was still fixated on scanning Junkyu's stuff.

"Um... You look quite young, I didn't expect you to be a landlord already." Said Junkyu. The guy named Haruto looked at him this time, "My dad used to own this place. He recently gave it to me, so yeah. I'm your landlord now. Do you have any problem with that?"

"No! Obviously not!" Junkyu nervously said, "I just asked... For the sake of it."

"Hm. Okay." Haruto said, "Well, now that you know, I'm very specific about the rent. You must pay it on time."

"Yeah, I know." Junkyu said, "The first day of the next month."

"Do you know how much you have to pay?" Asked Haruto. Junkyu moved his head up and down, "Adding electricity, water and gas bill, the total is-"

"Ah- thrice the electricity bill, five times the water and gas bill." Haruto corrected him. Junkyu looked utterly shocked at that, "What??"

"You heard me. Why? Didn't you know it before coming here? That's how I collect my rent."

"No wait- why do I need to pay five times the bill?" Junkyu stopped him, "I don't have that much money."

"Simple. Because it's expensive." Haruto said, "You can leave if you don't like it. But since you stayed here one day, you have to pay for the whole month."

"That's ridiculous!" Junkyu was visibly frustrated by that time.

"You stayed one day. How can I give it to someone else in the middle of the month? You have to take responsibility." Haruto said. He was quite unbothered as he spoke, checking his nails and all.

"So you're telling me that I have to pay this ridiculously high amount of money even if I don't stay here?"

"That's how it is." Haruto raised his brows.

"Wow. Did you tell this to my friend?" Junkyu asked.

"Yeah, why would he agree to let you stay otherwise? It's a pretty decent rent."

"Decent my ass!" Junkyu cursed, "I have no idea how I'll pay you."

"Why? You short on money?" Haruto teased him. Junkyu returned a bitter smile, "I don't own 50 apartments like you."

"Your bad." Haruto chuckled, "Anyway, since you're new, I can help you."

"How?" Junkyu crossed his arms, he didn't like Haruto at all. He kept wondering why Mashiho would ever say positive stuff about this crazy guy!

"I can cut your rent." Haruto went closer to Junkyu whose eyes sparkled upon hearing it, "Really? How much!?"

"Depends on how much you can give me." Haruto suddenly held Junkyu by the waist. The latter stumbled forward, scooting even closer to the landlord. He put both of his hands on Haruto's chest to decline the proximity.

"Give what?" Junkyu asked, slightly trembling to be held like that. Haruto smirked. He brought his face dangerously close to Junkyu's, slightly to his left. His breath fell on Junkyu's left cheek, slowly moving to his ear. Haruto whispered in it, "Make a guess, pretty boy." He ended with a little sniff on the junction of Junkyu's ear and cheek. Junkyu shuddered. He was short of words, breath and rationality! Haruto found the sight of a confused Junkyu quite amusing.

"Think about it, Kim. Whether to pay me with money or-" Haruto slightly touched his own lips with his thumb. Junkyu gulped. Lucky for him, Haruto made a walk towards the exit, "I'll see you tomorrow. Hope you have an answer by then."

Junkyu only stared. He watched the landlord leave his apartment in a bit, but the aftereffect of his action still lingered in the elder's ear.

Make a guess.

What exactly did the crazy landlord want from him?? Ugghh!