Prologue

Chapter has been edited!

Another day, another chance to do...something with my life?

I'm Steve Jacob Randle. I'm a junior in high school and I'm probably the last person you want to talk to. But I like it that way so please don't talk to me.

I'm a A student and probably the best cellist you've ever seen. I live with my mom in a decent sized house.

I never knew my dad. My mom told me he died when I was younger.

And then there are my two friends: Dally and Two-Bit. They're nothing like me. Ipso facto. I have no clue why they like hanging with me but I don't care.

Anyway, today I was in class when my teacher, Dr. Giovanni, asked me to come up to her desk.

"May I help you, miss?" I asked her. "Yes you can Steve. You see, I have this student that is in sports. He is one of the best but he needs some help with his math. He is a D student in this class. I was wondering if you like to tutor him?" She asked me.

Oh lord! I don't wanna hang around people! But, I'll be nice for once. ONLY ONCE!

"I'll tutor him!" I exclaimed with fake eagerness. I was dreading it already.

"Alright then. You'll tutor him on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Does that sound good?" There goes my free time. "It sounds alright ma'am." I really hope this kid isn't a real dumbass like Two.

"Alright! You'll start tomorrow then!" She exclaimed.

Lord have mercy on my soul.

-Soda's POV-

I was about to leave class when Dr. Giovanni asked me to see her. I walked over to her desk.

"You needed me Dr?" I asked. She adjusted her glasses a little.

"Well Soda...You are failing this class." She said looking at her computer. "You haven't gotten an A on any of the test and your homework is always late. I understand you have basketball practice but if you don't get your grade up then I have to fail you." She said with a grimace.

"I understand ma'am. I'm trying I promise you." I hope she doesn't think I am just an idiot. I absolutely hate being thought of as an idiot.

Since I was a kid, my brothers have been the smart ones: Darry and Ponyboy. They always got the highest scores and they were star athletes and got all the awards. I sound jealous because I kinda am. I hate to admit it but I'm the dumbest in the family. I'm surprised that I'm only failing math class.

"Well, I've decided to get a student to tutor you. It will start tomorrow and it goes for three days a week with Tuesday and Thursday off. Does that sound alright?" Oh yay a tutor! Maybe I won't be so dumb after a few tutoring sessions!

"Of course! Can't wait to start!" I left the classroom and headed down the hall.

This won't be bad! It'll probably be fun! I hope...