Sirius Black

_____________________________________________________I am awoken as the train stops. Remus pulls his nose out of his book and snaps it tight. He smiles nervously and helps Peter up. I tap James and he stretches. We leave the compartment with the other two. As soon as we step out, the crowd of people makes James and I lose the others. A rough voice calls out to us. "First years, over here with me! I am Rubeus Hagrid the gatekeeper for Hogwarts. Line up over here!" James and I head towards the voice.

Several boats are lined up. "You reckon we should get in one?" I ask. James nods and we get in one. However, to my great disappointment, we are joined by Snape and lily. James shoots Snape a look of disgust and Snape returns it. Soon, the boats around us are filled up.

"First years, would you kindly follow me past the gates to your new school!" Hagrid's voice bellows across the area again. Snape and I row on the left while lily and James row on the right. I grimace with effort. Snape is so weak, he is already panting and wheezing. Plus, he has stopped rowing already. "Hang in there Snape, don't faint yet all right?" I say, trying not to laugh. Lily pats Snape's arm.

"Shut up Sirius, leave him alone." I snort and James elbows me in the ribs. I double over with laughter, unable to suppress my amusement.

"Well, if he can't outlast you, that is quite bad," I say in matter of fact tone. Lily looks like she wants to hit me. We reach the castle in silence. Lily drags a murderous looking Snape of the boat and James and I clamber out.

"Let's get in the castle now shall we?" he asks. He goes through the double doors leading to the castle and I follow in suit. A magnificent hall is set before us. Dazzling lights shine from the ceiling. There are four tables. All are three fourths filled. One table has purple and black dress robes. I believe that's Ravenclaw.

"Look, there's hufflepuff." James points to people dressed in yellow robes. At the far left, I spot the table of prats, dressed in green and silver robes. "Slytherin" James and I both hiss in anger and disgust. I feel absolutely revolted.

Then, on my right, I spot the Gryffindor table. Scarlett and gold robes. I beam at them. My idols. My heroes.

An old woman starts talking. She is wearing Gryffindor colors and has a thin mouth. "The sorting hat will sort you first years. Let the sorting begin!" She says and there is a smattering applause.

She calls names and then I suddenly hear my own. "Black, Sirius!" There is a hushed silence. A boy at the Slytherin table, with sleek blonde hair, appointed chin and steely gray eyes shouts," he is ours!" I also notice he has a Prefect badge. It makes him a bigger prat. People must have seen the Black reputation. I calmly step to a stool. I sit down and pull the hat on my head, grinning. It talks to me. I jump a bit.

"Well, as far as history, you should be in Slytherin. But, I sense true bravery in you. Also, a lot of mischief. You shall go to...

Gryffindor!" The hat roars. There is an amazing amount of cheering. I saunter towards Gryffindor. Records are meant to be broken.