𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔❆

Inej and Gwen were laughing and smiling like they never had before.

Inej told funny stories about Jesper getting in trouble and Gwen sometimes told Inej stories about her 'Brothers' in Fjerda.

"-So when Jasper had stolen the cane, Kaz had stolen Jesper's guns and hidden them. Jesper whined for a week to have them back and when he did, Kaz had put glitter bullets into the gun. Every time Jesper fired it, instead of bullets it was glitter!" Inej laughed out loud.

Gwen laughed with her and asked "You mean to tell me, that the mean broody Brekker pulled a prank on Jesper?!"

"It's more revenge then prank, Kaz always gets revenge" Inej chuckled and shook her head in amusement.

"Hey Inej?" Gwen began softly.

Inej hummed and looked into Gwen's eyes, they were filled with comfort and warmth.

Gwen continued "How did you end up with Brekker and his crew?"

Inej took a sharp breath and told her "It's a long story. When I was younger, I was taken by slavers and sold to Tante Heleen, the owned of a pleasure house here in Ketterdam. I was forced to work at the Menagerie as an indenture. I met Kaz when he was asking Heleen information about the brothel's clients, I later approached him and offered to help him, but he did not respond and just walked away. The next day I found out that he had bought my indenture and he offered me a place at the dregs, the rest is history."

We are going to kill this 'Tante Heleen' person

Gwen's face was sorrowful as she said "I am sorry you had to go through that Inej."

"It's okay now, as long as I never have to be that again, it's fine" Inej brushed it off, but Gwen wouldn't let her.

"It's not fine, being given to people for pleasure is never fine" A glaze appeared over Gwen's eyes as she spoke "My village in Fjerda had men that thought women were nothing but things to be bred, most of the men disagreed and made sure that those men never took action to those thoughts. Sadly, they couldn't stop every single man, there were some who raped and hit their wives. When the village would find out, we would castrate them and cast them out. I was lucky with my village, there are other villages out there who did the complete opposite."

I would freeze off their dicks and I would do it with pleasure

Inej looked hesitant to ask, but did anyway "Gwen... How did you end up here in Ketterdam?"

Gwen sighed and started "I drowned. I was ice skating while watching my 'Brothers' struggling to put on their skates, when the ice under me broke. All I felt was my head throbbing because I had hit my head and the burning of lungs screaming for air. When I awoke, I was in my house and my mother was embracing me the second I gasped awake. Everything else is a bit of a blur, but I remember my mother telling me to run as people yelled and hit my father, being almost killed in the woods. I blacked out after that and awoke in a bar filled with dead bodies, Frost had killed them. The next thing I know is that I am on a boat on the way to Ketterdam. I think my parents are dead and my 'Brothers' are in the ice court for Drüskelle training."

Inej noted Gwen's Fjerdan accent coming through a bit and spoke in a sad tone "My condolences."

Gwen gave her a sad smile, but brightened her face up as she told her "Now, away with the sad thoughts. I had bought Waffles with the soup!!"

Inej laughed at Gwen's excitement.

Gwen stood up and walked to her bag as she grabbed a bag of waffles, Inej smiled as she saw the happiness on Gwen's face.