𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔❆

When the carriage stopped, everyone got off of it. Everyone turned to Jesper for an explanation, but he just put his finger to his lips and walked to the back of the carriage.

At the way back, they all took turns changing clothing. Gwen wore her and Frost's light blue jacket with some comfortable black pants and slightly heeled boots.

Everyone stood around the trunk of the carriage, confused on why. But that confusion was cleared up as the locked heated and popped off.

Gwen watched in shock as the sun summoner, Aline herself climbed out and froze as she noticed all the Crows standing around her.

Jesper tried reassuring her "We don't want any trouble."

Alina's eyed them all carefully, her eyes glancing a bit longer at Gwen, recognising her from the fete. She held her hands out and told them "Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way."

She started to walk, but Kaz held out his cane, stopping her from moving further. Gwen was confused, clearly Jesper didn't force Alina in the trunk so that means she got in herself. But why? Gwen couldn't figure it out. She was protected, safe, she was more powerful then everyone else and most of all worshipped at the little palace, why would she leave?

Jesper tried again "Clearly, you want out of East Ravka, but we can help you. We have a secure route through the Fold."

Alina remained stubborn and denied yet again "I prefer to travel alone."

"Don't be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want" Jesper pushed yet again. Gwen held back the urge to hit her head, the hidden meaning behind his words are very clear and Gwen wasn't the only one to figure that out.

Alina's inner walls went up higher and she became tensed "I'm not being anyone's captive ever again. So step aside and let me pass."

Gwen wanted to step forward and try to take a different approach, but Kaz spoke before her "I'm afraid we can't let that happen."

Before Gwen knew it, she covered her eyes that now burned as Alina used her light from her hands to blind them all.

__𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫__

Gwen sat at the table with Kaz, her head in her hands. The headache kept getting worse by the passing hour. She could feel Kaz eyeing her in concern, but every time she looked up, he would look away.

Inej walked over and announced "No horses missing at the stables, so..."

"So?" Kaz raised his eyebrow.

Inej looked at and asked "What?"

"Are you going to tell me how the target got away?" Kaz questioned, Gwen just felt the headache fade bit as she focused on their voices.

Inej looked down in shame "I let her go."

Kaz reminded her "You were hired to do a job."

"Yes, the job was to pick up a fake for an easy million kruge. We found a living Saint who can summon the sun" Inej argued with him.

Kaz held a coin in his hand and told her something while doing a trick "A good magician is a good con artist. The trick is to make it look real."

Inej pushed "This is different. You saw her summon with your own eyes."

Kaz refused to believe "The best illusions are the most convincing. That's the game."

"You can hide behind your cynicism, but I believe she's the real thing" Inej scoffed. her eyes glanced at Gwen and looked at her with worry.