Desperate Measures

Note: I'm changing the kids ages. It's never stated in episode 7 how old they are anyway. Switching Aemond and Helaena's birth order too. Therefore, in this chapter:

Aegon is 12, Aemond is 10, Helaena and Jace are 9 and Luke is 7. Baela, Rhaena and Visenya are all 8.

Enjoy :)

Watch an Aemond & Visenya trailer for this fic at https://youtu.be/I8PvamO1nl8

Viserys had been plagued with terrible dreams for many years, but none could compare to this.

He dreamt that his son Aegon was crowned before the masses and of the war that followed, the bloodshed and terror. He saw the deaths of all his children: by fire, by sword, by poison and by suicide. He saw his grandchildren butchered, the realm reduced to ashes, and all the dragons slain.

He woke with a scream.

"What is it your Grace?" Ser Harrold Westerling burst into the room, sword already drawn, ready to defend his King. Viserys coughed, choked, wheezed, and collapsed back on his pillows.

"Nothing, nothing... only a dream." But in his heart, he knew it wasn't.

Many in his line had been dragonriders. Very few had been dreamers. But what was the power of a dragon next to the power of prophecy?

Something must be done. He swore to himself, closing his eyes again. But what? How could he possibly prevent the destruction of everything he held dear?

***

Viserys looked around the Hall of Nine, a scene of chaos before him. His son Aemond had lost an eye. His grandson Luke had a broken nose. The children were all screaming at each other. His wife and daughter were too. He felt the divide within his family growing larger by the second, a small cut tearing into a gaping wound.

Visions from his nightmare danced before his eyes.

"Enough," he rasped. The shouting continued. He banged his cane on the floor. "Enough!"

Silence fell, all eyes upon him.

"This interminable infighting must cease! All of you! We are family!"

He looked around wildly.

I must unite the House of the Dragon before it is too late! But what can be done? What can be done?

His gaze landed on his grandchildren.

Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Visenya stood together in a huddle, hiding behind their mother. The boys had dark hair and eyes -one of nature's mysteries which had cursed them to hear the whisper bastards wherever they went. Their sister alone was the very image of their mother.

Viserys turned to look at his own children: Aegon, Aemond and Helaena. An idea occurred to him. They would not like it -Alicent especially- but desperate times called for desperate measures.

"I can think of only one way to heal the breach within my own family," he announced. "There must be a marriage pact. Rhaenyra, the Queen and I accept your offer. We shall betroth our daughter Helaena to your son and heir Jacaerys." The Queen cried out in protest, but Viserys ignored her. "There's more. Aemond and Visenya shall also be wed, as well as Aegon and Baela, and Lucerys and Rhaena."

Horrified looks from everyone in the room. He expected nothing less.

"No! I won't have it!" Alicent cried. "Helaena is my only daughter! I will not have her wed to her b-" she broke off with a gasp, the word bastard on her lips.