Heroism

Visenya couldn't stop yawning. Aemond hadn't given her a moment's peace all night long!

She was sore everywhere, her hips and thighs were decorated with bruises the length of his fingers, and she was doing her best to conceal several bite marks around her neck with her hair. Even her lips were swollen! And yet... she felt perfectly happy and content.

"Where are they?" Aemond muttered under his breath.

It was only their first morning together as husband and wife, and Visenya had already learned that Aemond was very grumpy when tired -even though it was entirely his fault that neither of them had slept a wink.

When she pointed this out to him, he said, "nonsense. As though I could have slept with you in my bed, tempting me."

"I didn't do anything!"

"You didn't have to," he retorted, and pressed a swift kiss to her neck that made her feel all warm and fluttery inside.

It was the day of her mother's coronation, and they were all gathered before the Iron Throne. All that is except Viserys and Rhaenyra, who were waiting in a side room, and Aegon, Jacaerys, and Helaena, who were unaccountably missing. The ceremony should have already commenced, but it could not begin until the new Prince of Dragonstone arrived. Aemond was on edge, already anxious enough about the coronation without having it needlessly drawn out like this.

"There must be a good reason-" Visenya began hesitantly.

"Aegon never has a good reason."

"Well Jace is never late. Perhaps they are together?"

"Why in the seven hells would those two be together?"

***

Half an hour earlier

Jace was nervous, even more so than he had been on the previous day for his wedding. All the lords of Westeros, as well as his three uncles, would swear fealty to him that morning, promising to honor and defend his rights of succession.

It was hard not to feel he didn't deserve it -not because people whispered that he was a bastard. He was his mother's son, and the blood of the dragon flowed through him. But though he might look like a young man on the outside, he still felt very much like a boy on the inside. A young, inexperienced and totally unprepared boy.

He could fly a dragon, but could he rule the Seven Kingdoms?

"Remember what you told me, your mother is still young," Helaena reminded him, smoothing down his tunic. "You have years and years to study and learn by her example. You won't be King tomorrow Jace."

He exhaled in a rush. "I know I know. You're right of course." He smiled at her. "And you look very beautiful this morning wife."

She blushed and lowered her gaze, pleased that he had noticed the extra care she had taken with her appearance. She was wearing the new tiara her mother had given her atop her carefully braided hair, and a lavish gown the color of her eyes. More so than ever, she wanted to look good for him as she took her place by his side... to honor him and make him proud.

"Thank you husband."

He kissed her lips softly, and they headed off to his mother's chambers.

The Queen-to-be was not yet ready. Her baby was due in little more than two months, and she'd felt some worrying pains that morning. Her trusted maestar Gerardys had been summoned, and his consultation had somewhat delayed preparations.