Kabanata 22

Kabanata 22

Problem

"Place the rosemary on top of the steak after that place also the garlic."

I nodded and followed the chef's order. I am currently in my cooking class. I personally hired a chef to teach me how to cook and actually I've been enjoying it lately.

"Deira put olive oil ontop of the squashed potatoes."

"Uh-huh."

Kinuha ko ang bote ng olive oil at kinalat ito sa plato.

"Don't forget to seasoned it."

"Yes, chef!"

Nilagay ko ang potaoes sa non stick pan at pinainit ito. The Chef instructed me to mix the potatoes by flipping them. Kinuha ko ito at tinaas bago inalog alog ang laman. I adjust the fire on medium heat and continue what I'm told.

Kinuha niya ang grilled pan sa stove at nilapag ito sa counter top.

"So, Deira. I want you to scoop the oil and put it on top of the meat, like this."

Pinanood ko kung papaano niya I scoop ang oil na may tunay na butter at nilagay ito sa taas ng meat.

I complied with his directions. Splash the oil and butter over the top of the meat. I'm attempting to prepare steak. I'm all learning about western cuisine. Ito kasi ang uso dito e. Filipino cuisine is not widely consumed in the United States. But I can still cook it. Maybe the first try may fail, but maybe I'll get used to it..

I think cooking is for me. Should I try to open a restaurant? Hmm....not a bad idea.

After cooking the steak, I placed it on the platter that I had already designed. When the chef saw my presentation, he gave me a thumbs up.

Pumalakpak ako.

"Presentation is a hundred." He complimented.

"Taste it." Excited kong sabi.

Kinuha niya ang tinidor at kutsilyo. He slice the meat and bring it to his mouth. I watch his reaction nervously while he was chewing.

"It's great. Well done." He said after he gulped my steak.

I was so pleased with what he stated that I cut a piece of steak and tried it. And I must say, I believe I have outdone myself. It's superb! I yelled, my lips closed, with wide eyes.

I have done it! A perfect steak!

Tinawag ko si Kuya. Pinatikim ko sa kanya ang aking niluto.

I watch him closely as he slice a piece of the steak. Sinunadan ko rin anf tinidor hangang sa bibig niya. I waited for his reaction.

He gave me a thumbs up.

"Better cook that for our dinner, tonight." He said.

Chef chuckled, I chuckled too.

Hinatid ko sa labas ang chef at binigay ang aking pay for his day. Pumasok ako ulit sa loob at kinain ang ginawang steak.

I watch Kuya play with Giselle on the living room with mats all over the place.

Pumalakpak si Giselle ng pinalakpakan siya ni Kuya Oliver. She's learning how to walk. Kuya's guiding her. Maybe three to two steps lang ang kaya ng anak ko babagsak siya sa pagkakaupo agad.

His hair is getting longer. Her hair is already around her ears. Umopo ako sa couch habang nasa kamay ang plato ng steak na niluto.

I reach for my phone when Mom's text pop in.