Vitanien

"Through the looking glass I saw not only myself but something more. Unlike me they had form, had color, had a beautiful unknowing of the abyss that sought to swallow them whole. Their land was bright and green and we thought that our light would never fade."

- Eristar

Vitanien was the first realm in Sanctum's history. Founded by the gods in F.A. 1, it was located at the equator of Sanctum's eastern coastline and covered a great distance in all cardinal directions, but never breached from the tropics. It later fell to the Abyss and was its stronghold until the Second Age where light returned once more.

 It later fell to the Abyss and was its stronghold until the Second Age where light returned once more

The jungles of Mian Keyvori

History

First Age

When the gods first created Sanctum, they sculpted humanity overlooking the equatorial cliffs as the first sun rose over the Golden Sea, a sacred location known as Narenhil. The inhabitants of this land were known as to themselves as Keyvori, and they were gifted with wisdom and power, and above all, the will to do no evil with these gifts. A massive jeweled stone, the Great Stone of Vitanien, towered over the center of their lands and shone as bright as the sun, and there was no night. It was worshipped for it was the linking between their world and the gods, and tributes would be given every day at the foot of the Stone in the city of Keyvoria. The Keyvori were peaceful, they governed themselves and there was no war or conflict between anyone in the land of Vitanien.

In this reign of utmost peace, humanity spread westward from Vitanien and forgot about the Stone, birthing the realms of Parnos, Trinime, and Nimeda in the uttermost west. There was also a rumor of civilizations existing south past the eyes of Vitanien, but no one had ever seen them. Vitanien's splinter realms remain largely forgotten from the trials of Sanctum and were called the "Unbroken Lands."

In the centuries leading up to F.A. 10,000, many Keyvori begun to worship the hidden stars they saw past the light of the Stone and sun, and the cult of of the Zodiac was created in secret. Their hideout was underneath the Vitanien Stone itself, winding around the roots of the Stone far into the depths of the world. There were twelve leaders among them, and in F.A. 10,000, they unwillingly destroyed the Vitanien Crystal and summoned a great dragon of shadow erupting from its remnants. The light faded from the sky and as the sun sunk below the horizon, the first night of Sanctum had begun. The stars of the abyss filled the entire sky as the souls of the Keyvori were drowned in darkness and became feral hosts of shadow, only the strongest one percent suddenly gaining consciousness and the ability to do evil things. The shards of their great Stone were scattered all over Sanctum and they yearned for them.

Now the twelve leaders of the Zodiac cult were twisted into celestial deities, each named after a zodiac sign. The severing of the link had killed twelve gods in Aerinor. The rest of the cult became shadows like the rest of humanity, and all were led under Dracol, the great dragon of the abyss. Dracol unfolded before Vitanien and was twice the size of the Stone, declaring themselves the ruler of Sanctum. The jungle wildlife of Vitanien became distorted and warped into creatures of horror. The Keyvori who survived were either killed by the entities that now plagued their land and fled into the surrounding lands.