Zodiac

The Zodiac are the most notable and persisting entities pertaining to the Abyss throughout Sanctum's history. Twelve in number, they are immortal beings who can take many forms upon each rebirth, but their powers always remain consistent, even growing over the flow of time. The Zodiac can also absorb the powers of mortals on their deaths. The goal of the Zodiac in Sanctum is to aid in the destruction of the world and its gods, though each one goes about this in different ways. The Zodiac are ruled by no one but the Abyss, and they can be seen as the Abyss itself. The twelve generally collaborate together but there has always been infighting within their ranks. Some have even spent extended periods of time out of commission distracted, friendly with humanity, but they will always return to their mission.

Origin

Origin

In the centuries leading up to F.A. 10,000, many Keyvori begun to worship the hidden stars they saw past the light of the Stone and sun, and the cult of of the Zodiac was created in secret. They occupied the caves underneath the Vitanien Stone, winding around the roots of the Stone far into the depths of the world. The cult remained hidden. There were twelve leaders among the cult, all details about them are unknown, except that they were Keyvorians from all walks of life. They were curious, more curious than most, and harbored no ill intent.

Sometime in F.A. 10,000, the cult of the Zodiac found that their connection with the stars had become complete. Realizing the true nature of their religion, they tried to resist and repent but in the chaos the abyssal power surging through the cult unwillingly destroyed the Vitanien Crystal above them, above Keyvoria, and the skies became dark for the first time. Dracol, a great dragon of shadow, erupted from the remnants of the Stone while the stars of the abyss filled the entire sky. The souls of the Keyvori were drowned in darkness and became feral hosts of shadow, only the strongest one percent suddenly gained consciousness and the ability to do evil things.

Now, the twelve leaders of the Zodiac cult below the surface were twisted into celestial deities, each named after a zodiac sign. The severing of the link between the Stone and Aethirion had killed twelve gods in Aerinor, and the Zodiac are believed to have become twisted with both the abyss and the likeness of these slain gods. The rest of the cult became shadows like the rest of humanity, and all were led under Dracol, the great dragon of the abyss. But that was the First Age, for whence Dracol was slain, the Zodiac scattered. Throughout Sanctum's history, the Zodiac have allied and fought, all trying to destroy Sanctum, slowly growing in power until the deed is done. Each of the twelve also gained a magical realm they preside over, far away in the edges of the Abyss where their constellation lies. If the Abyss can only destroy, why do the Zodiac have these creations? Some believe that this an act of spite, the slain gods inside them forcing them to birth life, to retain a sense of humanity. In this way, the Zodiac are still the most human of all abyssal entities.

Unlike lower beings like abyssal horrors or higher entities such as Dracol or the twisted god Alari, the Zodiac are different in that they cannot be killed, only temporarily incapacitated until they resurface. In this, the Zodiac are the central threat to Sanctum's sanctity. Their threat and order is never truly known until the end of the Fifth Age.