Deus Ex Machina (weapon)

"That's what Machina is. THE weapon of weapons."

- Crimson Assassin, "The New Moon Rises"

It was a unique weapon unlike anything seen in in Sanctum's armory, Deus ex Machina was a weapon designed by none other than the New Moon member, Dakota of Otskai. Worn as a large metal case on his back, Deus ex Machina stored seemingly endless scores of weaponry, the user being able to wield each one with mastery. 

Deus ex Machina

Deus ex Machina

History

Dakota was the lowest on Otskai's totem pole. As a child, he was constantly teased for being skill less, in a world where workforce skills were held in high regard. He was academically stunted, clumsy, and considered too weak for the military. Unable to contribute to the Nimedan Empire in traditional ways, Dakota had one special interest: engineering. Though banned from every engineering school in the empire for his high failure rates, his best friend Kotoro believed in him and pushed him to pursue his creative interests. Working as a sandwich shop clerk in Otskai, Dakota would spend his late teenage years tinkering with mechanical parts, and after many explosions and near death experiences, he created his masterpiece. 

By using an empty metal casing from a nearby factory, he added straps to it so that it could be attached to his back. Inside it, were coils upon coils of metal chains and wires where he attached mechanical hands to. Unlike his uncoordinated self, his new appendages were predictable, moving by themselves with a little bit of mental input from Dakota. "A god from the machine," this contraption had infinite potential and could solve problems with ease. At the age of seventeen, Dakota presented his creation, Deus ex Machina as he named it, to the university at the capital. And then he returned home, no acceptance letter in hand. Deus ex Machina went against all the values the Nimedans stood for, they had no desire for this technology that eradicated the need for human work. Devastated, Dakota returned home as the sun rose and sat on the shore, tossing Deus ex Machina into the sea. But the waves only washed it up again, and Dakota noticed something. One of the mechanical hands was risen, extended out from the casing, pointing at the rising sun to the east. Maybe there was somewhere where he could be wanted, he just had to find it. 

In 735 of the Fourth Age, Dakota came up with a plan. His friend Kotoro was an expert sailor, who happened to be departing on a long training journey overseas to the Kingdom of Havenesith. Dakota left everything behind to join him, and in a few weeks, they both arrived in the Westlands. But before this all, Dakota made sure to modify Deus ex Machina a tad. He attached a couple of swords and a gardening scythe to the chains for self defense. 

In the city of Haven, Dakota spent a month assisting Kotoro and heard talk of a technologically advanced realm to the east, over the mountains and far away. Aestagia it was called, a land of light, flying machines, power. But to get there, it was a long journey, and he was warned of shadowy creatures prowling the paths unlike anything he had heard of in Nimeda. Kotoro agreed to join him, and they departed swiftly. It was when they entered the Forest of Esith did they come across the horrors of the Abyss, and Dakota used Deus ex Machina's fighting capabilities for the first time. He came out without a scratch, impressing himself. Along the journey, Dakota would pick up odd jobs and use the excess funds to upgrade his arsenal, adding even more swords, halberds, axes, crossbows, grappling hooks, until he lost count of what was inside the case. When he arrived at the city of Aermont, he learnt of the steam powered technology the Aestagians used, amplifying Machina with this tech. He was even able to make a kind of steam powered rocket launcher, and somehow, a bomb could fit inside the box. 

Soon after he joined the New Moon after losing Kotoro and learning of the sinister nature of Aestagia, Dakota would continue to add on to Deus ex Machina over the next two years until his death in Haven. The weapon was lost in the incident as it was partially broken, and anyone who discovered it knew not of what it was supposed to be, and it was most likely stripped for parts. However, tales of Deus ex Machina made their way all around the world and into the modern age. There were books showing how new weapons against the Abyss could be made by applying "weapons" themselves to a bigger picture. In the Fifth Age, Pandora's Box, the weapon used by aspiring sentinel Odysseus Sotiropoulos, was inspired by the tales of Deus ex Machina. 

Appearance

Originally, Deus ex Machina appeared like a simple and clean metallic backpack, with two leather cross-straps attaching to the user. Dakota's symbol was etched into the backside of the case, and there were many crevasses and bores at random places in the case where armaments could come out from, attached to the chains and wires within. Over time, Deus ex Machina's original form became unrecognizable, being welded with moving pistons, exhaust pipes, dangling chains, and it became a mess to look at. Dakota swore that he knew every function of the weapon still. But then Melanee kicked it and a couple of rusty claymores clattered out with a thud, followed by a pile of rusty chains. Dakota stammered and claimed "you never know when you need spare parts." It is important to add that no one knows how Dakota managed to fit so many things inside a backpack, as it is his "chef's secret," but it is assumed that every weapon can fold itself down somehow. 

How Dakota thinks he looks

How he actually looks

Abilities

One of the most versatile armaments in Sanctum's history, it can be summarized that Deus ex Machina can use nearly every base weapon ever created. Dakota is able to summon them at will, as many as he deems necessary, and they all control themselves eighty percent automatically. The other twenty percent consists of Dakota gesturing where he wants them to go with his arms, and they swing themselves accordingly with one hundred percent mastery. 

In Crimson Assassin, Deus ex Machina was seen to use swords, halberds, and scythes as primary weapons. But the second most common offensive ability was the rocket launcher and cannons that could extend themselves from within the case and fire in any direction. Dakota also created a large boulder sized fist that was used to punch anything that got in his way, and the arm could also fold itself into a shield if needed. In Aestagia, he used steam technology as a booster when he would fire out grappling hooks, so he could maneuver across the battlefield. He would often use ten plus grapples at a time and the New Moon compared him to a mechanical spider, holding his body in perfect unmoving stasis so he could fight in addition. These wires and chains were also used for capturing opponents, and rearranging scenery to hide evidence. It was revealed that Dakota also kept a comically large bomb inside Deus ex Machina, and it was only used once.