18

With the manual in hand, Hadley carried Bill's camera to the kitchen table and began to study the instructions. A fiddle here and an adjustment there, a quick look at the manual, and then it was time to go see Bill and Maury. She grabbed her purse and headed for the car.

"Hadley," Bill said, opening the door as Hadley breezed through, "where's the fire? Or should I say the fight? That's a nice shiner you got there. How on earth did you get it? You're not going to tell me some lame story about falling down or anything, are you?"

"No fire," Hadley said. "No fight either. Not the kind you think. Just a little rough and tumble with Onus in the attic. The cat bumped into a teapot. Knocked it off a shelf. Shall we say I tussled with a dress mannequin, and the mannequin won? Just smile or say 'fresh breeze and cream cheese' or give me that big, goofy grin you're famous for. Do something. I'm wasting precious time, here."

The manual came in handy. Still, it had taken her several hours that afternoon, but Hadley had finally mastered Harry's camera.

"You look like that dog on the Little Rascals. Petey," Bill said.

"And you should get rid of that cat, Hadley. He's gonna be the death of you, yet," Maury said, entering the living room and wiping her wet hands on her apron.

"I'm making videos, y'all," Hadley said, grinning and clearly pleased with her latest accomplishment.

"What's so special about that, Hadley," Maury said. "Harry took them all the time."

"Yes, he did," Hadley said. "And now I can, too. I finally figured out how to get this thing in focus. Finally. Though it was touch and go for most of the afternoon."

"Oh, Lord, preserve us," Maury moaned. "Hadley, get that thing out of my face. You know I'm camera shy."

"Oh Maury," Hadley said, "you got a great smile. You know that. Camera shy, my eye! I see you sneaking a peek at me."

Maury took the dish towel and popped Hadley with it. It was a thing they might have done as kids. Hadley was delighted.

"That's it," Hadley said, glued to the viewfinder. "Give me some real action."

"You two cut it out before you break a hip," Bill said. "I'd hate to have to explain to the emergency room doc how you two broke your bums horsing around like kids. Now, go into the kitchen like good girls. My show is coming on in five minutes, and I don't want to miss it."

"Oh, Hadley," Maury said, "Let's get out of her before Bill's growl gets any louder."

"Sounds like Bill's as crazy over that comedy as Harry was about the Cardinals," Hadley said.

"Coffee?"

"You bet," Hadley said. "And don't think I don't realize you're offering me coffee as a way to get me to put down the camera."

"I go with what I know will work," Maury said. "No sense remaking the wheel if I don't have to."

Both sisters got busy. Maury began brewing the coffee while Hadley got out the cups and saucers. Maury went to the refrigerator and retrieved the cream. The sisters set up the refreshments on the kitchen table. Maury's kitchen was warm and inviting. She served coffee cake. Hadley had two pieces.

"How was the show?" Maury asked Bill as he entered the kitchen. "Save some for tomorrow's breakfast, Bill."

Bill walked over to the counter and removed the cover from the cake. He opened the silverware drawer and got out a knife. Bill ignored Maury and cut an enormous hunk of scrumptious goodness.

"Right as rain," Bill said, between bites. "Laughed so much, my side is splitting."

"Keep eating like that, and that's not all you'll be splitting," Maury said.

"Hadley," Bill said, changing the subject from his expanding waistline, "guess you can start in a coupla' days."

"Really?" Hadley said. "Great."

Retrieving a key ring from his pocket, Bill picked through several keys. Finding the one he wanted, he took it off of the ring and handed it to Hadley.

"I'll make sure not to lose this," she said, placing the key safely in her purse.

"Those folks interested in Eustian's farmland are wanting to get things moving," Bill said. "I don't see why we should keep them waiting. They're gonna plant Eustian in the cemetery day after tomorrow."

"That's Monday. Why the delay?" asked Hadley. "Is he back at the funeral home?"

"Yeah. Bowey Hill sent him back. Guess the good folks 'round here don't want him disturbing the digestion of their Sunday meal."

"Good point, Bill," said Hadley. "Eustian did his best to keep the stomach acid of a lot of folks in this county churning."