40

The western end of Croft's Orchards abutted Eustian's property line. The old man was always causing trouble for the Crofts, so when Sandy told her that Singlepenny had contacted him about some work, Rayna was leery.

"Watch yourself, Sandy," Rayna said. "Think long and hard before you decide to have any dealings with that old devil."

"I know Eustian Singlepenny leaves a bad taste in your mouth, Rayna. I understand."

Nobody could understand, Rayna thought.

"You're a saint for putting up with his shenanigans all these years. Frankly, I don't know how you've managed it."

"I have this crazy habit, Sandy," Rayna said. "I just can't seem to break it. I like to eat."

"Yeah, me, too," Sandy said. "That's the reason I'm probably gonna have to do the job for him. I know Eustian is a boil on the bottom of the world, but he's a customer. His money is as good as anybody else's, and I'm in business to make money. I went over to his place. He hired me to make some parts for him. I'm gonna start tomorrow."

"So," Rayna said, "you were the unlucky one who got to cross the Singlepenny threshold after all these years. I bet it's been a coon's age since anybody set foot in that place. They say his mama had a few visitors out there, but she's been dead for ages. Nobody's been inside the house since she passed. Who would? I mean he has more No Trespassing signs nailed up on the porch than cod liver oil has stink."

"No, I didn't go inside Eustian's house," said Sandy. "He was waiting for me in the yard when I drove up. Directed me to the barn where he keeps his old tractor."

"Oh," Sandy said. "Eustian's a queer bird. He said he wanted me to come out, give him a price, take the busted parts I'm gonna restore, and leave."

"Well," said Rayna, "that sounded like a neighborly visit."

"Well, there's no law that says I had to go inside his house to do business with the man. He probably didn't invite me in because then he would have felt obliged to offer me something to drink or something. Anyway, Reeves Brody drove up while I was there."

"Reeves Brody. What in the world was he doing at Eustian's."

"I dunno," said Sandy. " Something about Avielle wanting some dried tomato seeds that Eustian promised her. He dropped off a jar of Avielle's honey, too."

"He drove all the way out there for that! I'll bet that's just a lame excuse Reeves cooked up to see Eustian," said Rayna. "Reeves has been pestering the living daylights out of me to sell some of the back forty."

"You'll never sell," said Sandy. "And neither will Eustian."

"But that doesn't stop Reeves from asking every chance he gets," said Rayna. "I think Reeves has big plans. You know, the next big real estate mogul or something."

"In Hope Rock County!" Sandy said.

"I know," said Rayna. "And it's not like Reeves has any competition. He is the only agent within forty miles!"

"Ruler of an ant hill. That's Reeves," said Sandy.

"Tell me about it. Just be careful with Eustian, Sandy. I'm not kidding," said Rayna. "Dot your i's and cross your t's with that man. Get it all down in writing and make him sign it. If I were you, I'd even consider using your phone to video that old tractor, just to cover your butt."

"Oh, don't you fret none," Sandy said. "I'll be careful. I will."