71

"I heard about Sandy, Rayna," Hadley said. "I just wanted to make sure you were all right."

"Thanks, Hadley," Rayna said. "Come in. I'll fix us some coffee. Richie's out on a date with Florene. It's just me and the dog, tonight. I can fix you a sandwich or something if you like."

"No thanks, Rayna," Hadley said. "I don't want anything. Lost my appetite."

"Me, too," Rayna said. "I told Sandy to leave Eustian alone. I tried to warn him, but you know Sandy. He's always thought there was some shred of good in everybody. He's an honest man, Hadley. You know that."

"I know," Hadley said. "That's why I just can't understand all this."

"Nobody knows what lengths a man will go to if he's painted into a corner," Rayna said.

"I said as much to Maury," Hadley said.

"I thought I knew Sandy," Rayna said, "really well, you know, but since all this mess with the lawsuit, I don't know. I just don't know. Sandy's like a stranger. So distant."

"He's had a lot on his mind," Hadley said.

"I know," Rayna said. "And that's what bothers me. Instead of talking about his troubles, it's like he's locked all his thoughts inside himself. He wouldn't talk to me. Wouldn't talk to Gunn.

I thought he might ask to move in with me, Hadley. I don't mean marriage. My situation won't allow that. But I'd dreamed of us living together and making a good life, you know. But I don't hold that hope, anymore. In some ways, it feels like Teddy all over again."

"Teddy and Sandy are two different kettles of fish, Rayna," Hadley said.

"You don't think Sandy did it, do you, Hadley?"

"Sandy's got a good head on his shoulders," Hadley said.

"I know," said Rayna, "but you know how men are. And Sandy's changed so much, lately."

"I sure do," Hadley said. "They think they have to be the rock. That women are somehow not as strong. That when things turn sour, a woman just won't understand. 

Hogwash, I say. I've seen plenty of women go through hard times that would break a man, but somehow, those women stand tall. You've been through rough seas, Rayna, and you managed to navigate through them pretty well. Look at Richie. He's turning into a fine young man."

"I am blessed," Rayna said. "Richie is a wonderful son. I think he's almost ready to pop the question to Florene."

"Florene's a good girl. She and Richie will make a good team. Give you some fine grandchildren, Rayna."

"Wouldn't that be wonderful?"

"Here, Rayna," Hadley said, getting up and going into the kitchen, "let me make you some coffee. The grinder's in this cabinet, isn't it?"

"Hadley!" Rayna screamed.

Hadley went running from the kitchen back to the living room where Rayna sat on the couch.

"What's the matter!" Hadley exclaimed.

"What if Teddy's come back!" Rayna said. "Dear me! I just don't know. My head's spinning. What am I going to do?"

"Calm down," said Hadley.

"What if . . . oh, I don't know. I just had the most horrible thought. I'm sorry. You must think me as crazy as a loon. But what if Teddy has come back! Oh, Hadley! Do you think Richie and I are safe?"

"You and Richie are perfectly safe," Hadley said. "Stop this train of thought. You'll make yourself sick. Rayna, I think you're exhausted from working these orchards seven days a week. I think you're worried sick about Sandy. Quite frankly, I'd be worn to a frazzle if I had everything on my plate that you have. And on top of that, you're helping me with the bazaar. You're just worn out."

"You're right," Rayna said. "Hadley, would you mind? Richie's not home. I don't have to worry about fixing his supper. I'd really just like to take a nice, hot bath and go to bed early."

Hadley rose to leave.

"Of course not, Rayna," Hadley said. "I think that's just what you should do. Get some rest. And don't worry about the bazaar. We've got most of the major details figured out. I can tie Maury down and make her help me with the rest. She won't mind."

"But Hadley," Rayna said, "I don't want you to think I'd leave you in the lurch in the middle of all that."

"Nonsense," Hadley said. "You have to look out for yourself. Concentrate on getting all this fruit harvested."

"We are having a good yield this year," Rayna says.

"Yes. That means good money, but it also means a heck of a lot of work. Now, you get that bath and get to bed. I'll call you later in the week to check on you. Okay? And later, after things settle down, maybe you can give me some advice."

"Advice about what, Hadley?"

"You have all kinds of fruit trees," Hadley said.

"Yes. Why?" Rayna asked.

"I want to plant some trees in Harry's honor. I had thought of planting one tree, but the more I mull over the idea, I think a small orchard would be wonderful. Nothing on the scale you have here, just three or four fruit trees. I may need your expertise on picking the best variety and the best location for planting them at the house."

"Of course," Rayna said. "I'll be glad to help you. I think Harry would have loved your idea."

"Call me if you need anything."

"Good-night," Rayna said.

"Night."