69

Hadley drove home. She was hot and tired.

She went into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and grabbed the pitcher filled with fresh squeezed lemonade from the shelf. She poured herself a tall, cold glass of yellow sunshine and went into the parlor to the overstuffed chair. She got her cell, punching in numbers while slurping down a chilling gulp of lemonade just as her sister answered on the other end.

"Maury," Hadley said, "tell me all you know."

"Hadley, you know Bill. When he's on a case, he shuts up like a clam. He keeps telling me they're still running tests down at Bowey Hill."

"Is that all?" Hadley asked.

Well," Maury said, "I know he's arrested Sandy. Set Gunn free."

"Everybody in Hope Rock County knows that," Hadley said.

"It has something to do with the chemicals Sandy uses," Maury said. "You know, cyanide."

"Umm," Hadley said. "Sandy always handled that stuff. Used it at the shop and in his jewelry making, if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't let Gunn near it. I guess they decided Gunn's threats were just a lot of hot air. But I really don't think Sandy's the type of man who would kill somebody, either. Do you?"

"Eustian was ruining Sandy's life, Hadley. His business was on the verge of collapse. He owes Maxie, his suppliers, his lawyer. You name 'em. Sandy owes 'em. You push somebody far enough, and you never know what they'll do."

"I guess you're right," Maury said.

"I think I'll drive out to Croft's Orchard," Hadley said. "Make sure Rayna's okay. She and Sandy were close."

"Yeah," Maury said, "but not as close as they once were. This trouble with Eustian's thrown a wet blanket on that, I think."

***

Hadley left the house and drove west. The hills and valleys of the gently sloping Appalachians were as reassuring and calming as anything doctors prescribed in medicine bottles. 

Hadley Pell would never live anywhere else. The small communities that dotted these mountains had been here for ages. Not as long as the rocks and streams, that was true, but long enough to give a sense of stability. Of home.

So many folks their age had talked of moving south to Florida to retire. Let them have the sand in their rugs, the heat, and the dripping humidity. Hadley would take her four seasons rooted here in Hope Rock County. There was something about this place. It was made for her.

Besides, Harry was sleeping in Sheffield's finest, just like Beanie said, and one day she'd be laid to rest beside him in Memorial Gardens.