42

This idea of Ruth's was a good one. Sandy decided to visit John later that evening. He was grateful Ruth had talked over her plans for the new venture. At least, it got his mind off Eustian. That was a stew that had given him a really bad case of indigestion.

"Hey, Bill," Sandy said, starting to pack up for the day.

"Any luck, Sandy," Bill said.

"Some. I've sold a few things. How's Maury?"

"Fine," Bill said.

"That's strange," said Sandy.

"What's the matter?" Bill asked.

"I'm missing a bottle of my plating solution," Sandy said. "Some folks want to know what's involved in making some of my stuff. I've been bringing some of the items for display. It's a real conversation starter. Actually helped me sell a few more pieces, lately.

Maybe, I left it at home, but I don't think so."

"You look worried," Bill said. "Afraid somebody's gonna outdo you with this stuff you make?"

"No. Not at all. Nothing like that. Geez, Bill, I think I've made a huge mistake bringing some of those chemicals I work with."

"What are you talking about, Sandy," Bill said.

Bill's face was turning red. This conversation didn't seem to be heading down a good road. He just wished Sandy would tell him what was wrong. Maybe he could fix the problem, right away.

"I brought my plating system, today. Some glass rods, gloves. Some of the chemicals I use to show how this is done. But I'm missing a bottle of solution. It's not here. I've checked three times."

"You've already said that, Sandy. What is it?" Bill said.

"Lord, have mercy, Bill. What have I done? That bottle has cyanide in it!"

"Cyanide!" Bill said.

"What! Are you crazy! What if a kid's picked that up! Sandy, what were you thinking?"

"I wasn't," Sandy said. "I work with these things every day. If you're careful, they are safe. I'm sure no child has picked it up. I probably did just leave it at home. Gasoline's more dangerous than cyanide, Bill. It will evaporate. The air will explode. I'm sure it's at home. I'm sure. Eustian's got me so riled. Have you heard the lies he's been spreading on me! I don't know my head from a hole in the ground."

"Well, you go straight home. Call me if you really are missing that bottle. I'm serious. If I don't hear from you, Sandy, I'll know you have it at home. And for goodness sakes, don't ever bring that stuff back to this flea market again. I mean it."

"You have my word on it, Bill. I'm sorry I scared you. I'm sure it's home. I'm going there right now. If you don't hear from me in thirty minutes, you'll know everything's okay."

"All right, Sandy," Bill said.

The things he had to deal with on a daily basis, from carelessness and just not thinking. Bill shook his head. He really hoped he did not hear from Sandy Miller in the next half hour. He really, really did.