30

"Are you sure you don't mind, Rayna?" Hadley said, for the second time.

"No, Hadley. I don't mind at all. Really. I think it's ghastly the way they handle those women's meetings at church. Last one in the door is the first one drafted. I know it's happened to me often enough. We can co-chair this year's events," Rayna Croft said.

"That's fine and dandy with me, Rayna," Hadley said, relieved that at least some of the burden was off her shoulders. "It will be the best the Ladies' Auxiliary Bazaar and Charity Bake Sale ever with your help."

Rayna Croft was one of the hardest working women in Hope Rock County. And she was a good cook.

"I've got so much to do, and I suddenly feel a bit overwhelmed," Hadley said. "Like I've got too many irons in the fire."

"I'll come over one evening when you're not busy, and we can divvy up the chores and get ourselves organized. How are you coming along with cleaning out Mr. Singlepenny's place?" Rayna asked.

"You know about that?" Hadley said.

"Maury filled me in," Rayna said. "She's none too happy you're out there, you know."

"Don't I know it," Hadley said. "And Maury's none too happy with Bill for suggesting it in the first place. Her panties are so wadded, I don't know when she'll ever get them untangled. I hope she doesn't give Bill too much grief over offering me the cleanup job. I'm glad to keep busy, you know."

"Busy. Don't I know what the meaning of that word is," said Rayna. "Well, give me a ring when you want me to drop by. I think I've still got some of the recipes for several for the desserts that were fixed year before last when I was in charge."

"Oh, good. There's a double Dutch chocolate cake I want to make and a couple of other goodies I tasted that I can't wait to bake myself," said Hadley. "But be sure to make any notes on those things, okay? I know you like to experiment with your recipes like me. Remember those ground nuts you added in the crust of your chocolate chip potato chip pie. A stroke of genius!"

"I'm glad you liked them, Hadley," Rayna said.

"How did you get them so fine?" Hadley asked. "I've tried beating them with a hammer. Tore a hole in my dishtowel. Wasn't the hammer's fault though. My dishtowel was worn out."

"I used the coffee grinder," Rayna said.

"That is good to know," said Hadley. "Speaking of flub-ups. Boy, did I ever mess up my chocolate chip pumpkin biscuits with strawberry-vanilla jam when I tried to add some chili powder. Talk about a Pell-a-cious hash of yucky flavors!"

"I remember that one," Rayna said.

"Boy," said Hadley, "was that ever one for the trash can! But you never know until you try. I think cooking can be such a boring task if you always do every dish the exact same way every single time. 

That's why I love to dump cook. And while I'm dumping, I also like to mine the cabinets for some forgotten spice or flavor combination. To me, it's only fun if you use your imagination and unusual ingredients. I know it's iffy. Sometimes, I fall flat on my face. So what!

But Maury is not like you and me. She will not deviate one pinch from the recipe. That's half the fun. Sure, you might end up with a mess. But, you might come up with a new winner! I swear those State Fair competitions get harder every year. I'll be sure and give you a call when I catch a minute, Rayna."

"Okay."

"Bye, now."

Onus jumped in her lap.

"Well, look who's here," Hadley said. "Three rub-a-dub dubs and that's it."

She rubbed the cat's belly three times. Satisfied, Onus jumped down. She would not stroke her cat a fourth time. She had learned that lesson the hard way. He'd swatted her hand with outstretched claws and cried furiously.

But three, and only three, was a safe number, a good number, and the exact number of strokes that satisfied her lordly little Prince of Pell Manor.