ATLA - Zukka

I honestly really love this ship and can't believe I haven't made a one-shot yet but here it is!

This is more of a modern AU and that means it deters from the actual plot of the show.
______________________________

There is no way Sokka was actually stuck in detention with Zuko himself.

The atmosphere was so awkward.

See, the thing is, Sokka had mixed feelings about the popular boy.

On one hand, he seemed very arrogant, hot-headed, standoffish, and rude, and never looked in the direction of any of the girls who seemed to love him.

But on the other hand, Sokka had seen the way he smirked at a bad joke from the teacher, how he softly smiled at the stray cats around the school campus, how gentle he was with his sister and her friends, and how nervous he got when he was told to work on the whiteboard in class.

Truly confusing.

Sometimes, Sokka's heart would skip a beat at the sight of a bright smile from Zuko. Or when Zuko laughed at the train station because his sister's friend, Ty Lee, said something funny. 

He would catch himself staring at the way Zuko's scar crinkled around the eye whenever he smiled or laughed. He found the way the eye nearly disappeared cute and he often wondered how it would feel to gently graze his fingers across the scar.

Even now, with Zuko sleeping on the desk, Sokka found his eyes scanning his face. Each time he breathed in, his nostrils flared just a little. His eyes would flutter open for a second before closing again.

Sokka shook his head and snapped out of his trance, turning back to his notebook full of doodles.

Sokka wasn't much of an artist now, he thought he could mess up on stuck figures, but there were a few things he loved to draw despite his hate for his own art.

Flowers.

They always seemed to be the easiest and best to draw. He felt he could never mess them up because they were all unique and beautiful when put together.

As he was drawing, he felt someone looking over his shoulder. He stilled his hand and straightened his back slightly.

"Sorry, I was just curious about what you looked so focused on." Sokka felt the breath on the back of his neck. He knew who it was, how could he not? "They're pretty."

Sokka looked at Zuko, whose eyes were crinkled slightly at the sight of the flowers, and stared.

Zuko noticed the prolonged looking and moved his eyes to look at Sokka's. He had a strand of hair in his face.

Zuko reached down and gently moved the hair behind Sokka's ear.

In a panic, Sokka slammed his notebook shut and abruptly got up. Zuko was startled and confused as Sokka grabbed his things and left the classroom.

"You gonna chase him or you gonna stand there like an idiot?" the teacher asked.

Zuko looked at him in confusion, "Aren't you supposed to not let us out?" he asked, pointing at the clock.

The teacher shrugged, "I don't get paid extra to keep you here. I'm only here 'cause wife's mad at home."

Zuko shook his head with a small smile, "No, but I will be leaving now if that's alright." he said, gathering his things.

"Makes no difference to me, kid." the teacher leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes.

Zuko turns off the lights and gently closes the door, walking out of the building and to the train station in hopes of catching the next train.
__________________________________