Chapter 1. 1875 

Lord Garrett Bradford stood against the far wall of the ballroom, a glass of port in his hand. The home of Viscount and Viscountess Tilbury was buzzing with activity. The social season of London was in full swing, and he was one of the many lucky aristocrats to be a part of it.
At the age of 29, Garrett wasn't the average third son of a duke. For one matter, he wasn't a rake like his older brother Richard. At least, not the typical rake who took a different woman to his bed and then left her with child. He was more like his oldest brother, Benjamin, the new Duke of York.
Along with being a more refined rake of the London ton, Garrett had also been given a fortune, and his own estate. He had received 15,000 pounds from Benjamin, who had divided his inheritance of 45,000 pounds equally between the three brothers. His estate was Bradford Park, a lovely country estate located in North Yorkshire.
Garrett was quite the catch for that season. With dark brown hair and deep green eyes, he was considered to be very handsome. Aside from his good looks and lovely charm, he was kind and generous, as well as humble and compassionate. He was ready to settle down and begin a family.
Richard sauntered up to Garrett, drinking his second glass of port for that night. "Still no luck brother? No young lady here has captured your interested seems."
Garrett rolled his eyes at his older brother. "Unlike you Richard, I am waiting for the right opportunity to go and speak to which ever young lady captures my interest. I don't throw myself at the first young beauty that comes in front of me like you do."
Richard burst out laughing before throwing back the remainder of his drink. "Do you honestly believe I throw myself at women?"
Garrett. "You do. Benjamin and I don't however."
Richard rolled his light brown eyes. "May I ask how many bastards you have brother?"
Garrett glared at him after finishing his drink. "None. You, on the other hand, have five."
Richard. "Yes yes I know. And how many does Benji have?"
Benjamin growled, coming up beside his younger brothers. "I have two of them, both from Felicity. And, I would like to inform you Richard that I have acknowledged Anthony and Cornelia as my own."
Richard stared at him. "Do you mean to say that you are going to marry Felicity Hawkins?"
Benjamin. "Yes. We are actually engaged as of last night."
Garrett smiled brightly. "Congratulations to the two of you brother."
Benjamin smiled at him. "Thank you Garrett. I cannot wait to have Felicity as my wife. And, speaking of finding a wife, no young woman has captured your interest here?"
Garrett chuckled. "Not yet brother. However, I am not losing hope. We still have two more months of the social season left. We are only in May after all."
Richard. "Do you really believe you are going to find yourself a wife by August?"
Benjamin. "I believe Garrett is perfectly capable of doing so. I found Felicity three years ago in April when the social season begin."
Richard. "Oh very well, I suppose with your good looks and wealth, you will find yourself a wife Garrett."
Garrett wasn't paying attention to his brother any longer. His eyes had landed on a lovely young lady standing against the far wall of the opposite end of the ballroom. He felt his skin beginning to burn beneath his clothing, his eyes drinking her in.
She was magnificent. Chestnut brown curls fixed into a chignon. Creamy skin exposed by her dusty blue off the shoulder silk gown. A sweetheart neckline exposing a delicious taste of cleavage. Full pink lips just waiting to be kissed. Breathtaking and brilliant blue eyes that were staring right at him.
Garrett felt as if his body was going to burst into flames. He couldn't take his eyes away from the young woman. Without missing a beat, he handed Benjamin his empty glass and made his way over to her.
***
The gentleman was magnificent. Tall and muscular, with dark brown curls and dark green eyes. His evident physique was exposed perfectly in his three-piece black silk suit cream button up shirt matching cravat and black boots.
Staring at the gentleman who was making his way toward her, Rachel Martin felt as if she was going to burst into flames. She had never seen anyone so beautiful in her life. And she had seen quite a number of gentleman over the last three years.
At the age of 25, Rachel had endured three social seasons without any luck of landing a husband. Then again, she was very picky when it came to finding the perfect match. She wasn't wanting to be married simply out of obligation. On the contrary, she was wanting a marriage of love, like the one her parents had. And like the one her eldest sister Margaret had with her husband Arthur.
Rachel was the youngest of three daughters. Aside from being exceptionally beautiful, she was also very talented. She played the piano forte, could sing in several languages, and possess the loveliest penmanship. She was kind and humble, always putting others before herself.
Rachel's thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the gentleman who she had been staring at. She gave him a tentative smile and then dropped into a curtsy. "Good evening sir."
The gentleman returned her smile and gave her a bow of his own. "Good evening Miss. I do hope I wasn't disturbing you."
Rachel shook her head. "No, no you didn't. I do hope I wasn't interrupting the conversation you were having with your siblings."
The gentleman chuckled, shaking his head. "You weren't. I was actually wondering who you were. You captured my interest rather quickly."
Rachel giggled, her cheeks turning pink. "It seems you have captured my interest as well."
The gentleman extended his hand. "Lord Garrett Bradford."
Rachel placed her small gloved fingertips into his warm palm. "Pleasure to meet you Lord Garrett. My name is Rachel Martin."
Garrett brought her knuckles to his lips for a soft kiss. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Martin. Tell me, have you been asked to dance this evening?"
Rachel felt her heart flutter, heat cascading through her body. "No, I have not."