Chapter 7. 1875 

Staring into his eyes, Rachel felt her insides turn into gelatin. Garrett was so close to her, so close that she could lean forward and kiss him. She swallowed hard, her heart pounding.
Garrett smiled, leaning forward until his lips were at her ear. "You have no idea how badly I wish to kiss you this very minute."
Rachel felt her heart fly even faster. "The feeling is mutual."
Garrett caressed her cheek, his lips just inches away from hers. "May I kiss you Rachel?"
Rachel smiled softly. "You may my Lord. But only a kiss. I don't believe we should have scandal brought to our names."
Garrett chuckled. "I don't believe we need a scandal brought to our names either. And I promise, only a kiss."
Their eyes fixed in a magnetic gaze, they came closer until their lips touched. The kiss was slow at first, soft caresses of lips against one another. They held one another close, not wanting to let go.
Garrett brushed his lips against Rachel's repeatedly, his tongue soon joining in and gently probing her lips to part. He felt no resistance, and within moments, he plunged his tongue into her mouth. His tongue swept across hers very softly, not wanting to be forceful.
Rachel closed her eyes, moaning softly with pleasure. She allowed her tongue to dance with his, wanting to feel every inch of him. Wanting to taste every moment.
They kissed passionately for several minutes, not wanting to stop. But then, they heard the unmistakable sound of lovemaking coming from a nearby hedge. They froze, pulling away and staring at each other.
Rachel. "My Lord, it seems we are not the only ones out here."
Garrett shook his head. "It seems not."
Cautiously making their way over to the hedge, they were just about to spy on the young lovers when they noticed the couple stepping out. Their eyes widened, their lips falling to the floor as they recognize Roger and Vivian.
Rachel stared at her older sister. "Vivian, what have you done?"
Vivian rolled her eyes. "I have simply fallen in love with Roger. Is that such a bad thing?"
Rachel. "You have put yourself into a compromising position, a position that Viscount Chester and I have caught the two of you in."
Vivian. "End?"
Garrett. "You do realize that the two of you are going to have to be married now. Or risk scandal to your family."
Roger. "We were going to be married anyway Bradford. We were going to go to Gretna Green tomorrow."
Rachel stared at Vivian. "Are you going to tell mother?"
Vivian shook her head. "No, I'm not going to say a word to her or Margaret. At least, not until after I am married."
Rachel. "But don't you think that's a bit too late? Mother and Margaret must know what you're doing."
Roger. "Vivian and I will put out a formal announcement in the papers once everything is finished. We already have two witnesses to go with us, so the two of you don't need to worry about that."
Garrett. "And who are those witnesses?"
Vivian. "Rogers brother and his wife."
Rachel and Garrett exchanged a glance. They knew they couldn't stop Roger and Vivian from going to Gretna Green and getting married. The damage was already done, and marriage would make things a little easier and less scandalous.
Vivian stared at Rachel. "You will not say a word of this to mother or Margaret."
Rachel. "But they must know Vivian."
Vivian rolled her eyes. "Do not say a word until after the papers have revealed the news."
Rachel took a breath. She and Vivian never agreed on anything. However, she wouldn't tell her mother or Margaret what Vivian was doing. "Very well, I won't say a word."
Vivian smiled. "Thank you."
Roger took her hand. "If he will excuse us, my fiancé and I have a few needed preparation's to make."
Garrett and Rachel watched as Roger and Vivian disappeared through the garden and back toward the ballroom. They exchanged a glance, knowing that they had nearly been caught in their own scandalous position. They knew that, once Roger and Vivian's wedding announcement was in the papers, the entire ton would know of what had transpired.
Rachel exhaled slowly, shaking her head. "Mother and Margaret aren't going to be pleased."
Garrett brought her against him, kissing her softly on the cheek. "There's nothing we can do about it now. We just have to wait and see what happens."
Rachel placed her head against his chest. "You're right my Lord. I am relieved that the two of us didn't get caught."
Garrett. "I am relieved as well."
They remained holding one another for several minutes, listening to the crickets chirping around them. They could feel the chemistry blossoming between them, but they wouldn't act on that chemistry just yet. Enjoying the peacefulness for a few more minutes, they separated and walked back into the ballroom to finish their evening of dancing.