Chapter 9. 1875 

By the beginning of August, shortly after the London season finished, Garrett knew Rachel was the one. He was in love with her, and was wanting to spend the rest of his life with her. He had a feeling she was in love with him as well, but neither of them had spoken those words to one another yet.
Caressing the black velvet box that was in the pocket of his trousers, Garrett leaned back against the tufted seat of his carriage. That afternoon, he was going to a garden party at the Martin home. And, if he was lucky, he would have the opportunity to get Rachel alone and ask for her hand. He was a bit nervous, but knew that Rachel wouldn't object.
Once the carriage came to a stop in front of Martin Park, Garrett took a breath and stepped out of the vehicle. For that event, he was wearing a dark blue silk jacket with a cream button up shirt cravat matching dark blue waist coat black trousers and black boots. Squaring his shoulders, he walked off the three stone steps to the majestic house and knocked on the front door.
The Martin Butler, Timothy, opened the door. "Good afternoon my Lord."
Garrett gave the butler a soft smile. "Good afternoon."
Timothy escorted Garrett to the back courtyard where the garden party was taking place. Several guests were already there, dressed in their finest. The entire courtyard was decorated with flowers canopies and tables. The afternoon sunlight sparkled brilliantly in the blue sky.
Garrett scanned the crowd for Rachel, not able to see her at first. He did notice her sisters, Margaret and Vivian, with their respectable husbands. Scanning the crowd once more, he finally noticed Rachel speaking to another gentleman across the lawn.
Garrett watched as the gentleman finally left Rachel alone, and he took the opportunity to make his way toward her. He gave her a smile. "Well good afternoon Miss Martin."
Rachel turned and smiled at him brightly. "Good afternoon to you my Lord. I'm glad you're here."
Garrett smiled, gently taking her hand and brushing his lips against her knuckles. "You look lovely this afternoon."
Rachel blushed a soft pink, the same shade as the gown she was wearing. "Thank you my Lord, and I must say you look very handsome."
Garrett. "Thank you. May I ask who that gentleman was that you were speaking to?"
Rachel rolled her eyes. "Oh, that was Francis Delaney. He was one of my suitors during a previous season. He does not seem to understand I have no interest in him."
Garrett moved the two of them a little ways away from the party. "I'm glad you don't have any interest in him. However I must ask, is there a certain gentleman you do have an interest in?"
Rachel's eyes started sparkling. "There is my Lord."
Garrett felt his heart stop. "Is there? And who is this lucky gentleman?"
Rachel smiled. "Well, I do believe you know him my Lord. He is very kind, very sweet and humble, and is quite handsome. Not to mention the fact that he is a Viscount."
Garrett smiled brightly. "You would not be referring to me would you?"
Rachel burst out laughing. "Of course I am you silly."
Garrett smiled, pulling her against him for a hug. "I knew you were. Because I have taken quite the interest in a young woman as well."
Rachel. "Have you? And who is this young woman?"
Garrett brushed his knuckles against her cheek. "Well, she is charming, kind and sweet, and the most beautiful woman I have ever met. She makes me laugh, brings sunshine into my life."
Rachel smiled. "Do you mean to be speaking of me?"
Garrett chuckled. "You would be correct, I am speaking of you."
They smiled at each other before sneaking a quick kiss so as not to be noticed. They turned and walked back toward the party, knowing that they couldn't be alone for very long without someone catching them. However, that night was going to change their lives forever.
***
Three hours later, just as dusk settled over the horizon, Garrett took Rachel aside once again. He knew it was the right opportunity to propose to her, away from prying eyes with no interruptions. He was ready to tell her his feelings, to finally have her as his wife.
For her part, Rachel was ready to tell Garrett how she felt about him. Her feelings for the Viscount were very strong, but she had no idea if he felt the same for her. She swallowed nervously as they moved away from the party and toured the garden of roses that the Martin home possessed.
Garrett stopped under an archway of red white and pink roses. He took her hands into his, fixing his gaze with hers. "My darling Rachel, there are so many things I would like to say to you. But there is one thing that is the most important."
Rachel felt her heart flutter. "There is something important I would like to say to you as well."
Garrett caressed her knuckles with his thumb. "Care to go first?"
Rachel shook her head. "I'll allow you to go first."
Garrett took a breath. "I love you. I have loved you for these last several months. I have loved every moment that we have spent together. I love your eyes, your smile and your laugh. Your kind heart and your generosity. I love everything about you."
Rachel was trying very hard not to cry. "My dearest Garrett, I love you too. I have loved spending every moment with you these last several months. I love your heart, your smile and your charm. I have loved all the time we have spent together. I love everything about you."
Garrett was beaming as he brought her lips to his for a passionate kiss. Then he came away, going down on one knee and removing the box from the pocket of his trousers. He opened it to reveal the ring inside.
Rachel gasped as she saw the ring resting on the pillow. It was composed of a gold band with a small round diamond. It was beautiful and elegant.
Garrett took her hand, his eyes still fixed with hers. "My sweet and darling Rachel, will you make me the happiest man in the world and become my wife?"
Rachel was crying now, her tears flowing freely down her cheeks. "Yes, oh my darling Garrett, yes!"