Chapter XVIII

Dabi was first to awaken. He smiled finding the smaller boy still in his arms, sleeping soundly. He brought an arm up to stroke Izuku's fluffy green hair, but then looked down at his hand. He frowned upon seeing the purple burnt skin, knowing it was also covering the majority of his body. He closed his eyes in frustration, huffed and hugged the greenette closer. He had someone now, and hopefully, he could rely on this person.

Dabi, or should I say, Touya, thought back to the people who cared for him before, yet he couldn't help but be annoyed with them. His first and only protector, his Mother, would always comfort him after his 'training'. But later, after only a couple of threats from Enji, she began to neglect him, not wanting to stand against her husband for abusing her first son. But then Touya himself became the protector. However he still thought of his Father as a Hero at a time, so he was still a protective figure towards Touya. But then, wanting to be the hero for his younger siblings, Touya would always protect them despite his Father's protests. But after Shoto replaced Touya being the favourite, he had no one who looked after him in any way, shape or form, even if it was abusive.

He tried to prove his worth to his Father by training and training and training, but nothing impressed him. Shoto was always loving to Touya, and Touya loved Shoto, but an inner hatred for the child who had 'more worth' than himself, led to his supposed demise. Touya pushed his quirk so far, desperate to impress the so called Hero and become recognised once again, that he was believed to be deceased. But of course, he only joined the other side to get revenge of his devil of a Father, and changed his identity to Dabi, cremation member of the LOV.

He sighed, annoyed at the path he chose in his younger years, before he felt a light kiss being planted on his lips, brightening his mood almost immediately. He opened his eyes to be greeted with Izuku's tired face.

"What's up?" Izuku asked in a tired voice, obviously having noticed Dabi's recent distressed emotions. His eyes were barely open, heavy with sleep.

Dabi smiled, knowing he was truly cared for now and possible forever. "Nothing, don't worry about it," he ruffled Izuku's hair, and Izuku let a light giggle escape his lips. The two shared a smile, before Izuku asked again.

"But seriously, what's the matter?" Izuku interrogated him, the smile still on his lips, but Dabi's disappeared. He started playing with Izuku's curls again, calming himself. Izuku waited patiently, allowing Dabi to take his time.

"Just the past," he finally said, not particularly wanting to explain further.

"Your family?" Izuku asked, realising it would have had something to do with the notebook he had found the night before. Dabi's face showed a slight hint of surprise, but he didn't make that obvious.

"Sort of." He paused. "I don't want to talk about it."

Dabi stopped playing with Izuku's hair, wrapped his arm around the smaller boys waist and just cuddled into him. He hid his head into Izuku's shoulder, and Izuku welcomed the affection, hugging the man back.

They shared a few moments of silence, but Izuku wasn't satisfied. He knew there was more truth to come out of Dabi, and he wanted to be trusted. He wanted Dabi to know that Izuku was the person he could share anything and everything with, and he wouldn't tell a soul. And if anyone ever found out, well, they wouldn't have much time left to live...

"This is about Touya Todoroki, isn't it?" Izuku felt Dabi's whole body stiffen as he spoke those few words. He held his breath, still not saying a word. It was an incredibly touchy subject for Dabi, and no one knew about it but him, until now. This was the first time in 7 years that he'd heard that name being spoken.

"I found the diary," Izuku said, breaking the loud silence between the two. "Tell me about it?" He then asked. Dabi sighed, releasing the breath he was holding, but his body stayed stiff.