Chapter 9 : "Fault"💫

"Hey, go easier!" Lo'ak screamed in the air as Ma'i twirled and fastened her pace with her ikran.

She knew that if her ikran wasn't in a good condition already, she wouldn't even be able to talk him into that.

The morning before they moved, she checked every inch of the skin to make sure it is safe to take off. And she didn't fail to see that Lo'ak has somehow changed...

Her ikran let out a happy sound as Ma'i was way ahead of Lo'ak, completely ignoring his pleas.

After what seemed like hours of trying to get back, Ma'i finally saw what they were looking for.

The lines of their home came into the picture as she and Lo'ak's ikran already knew this perfectly and fastened the pace even more.

Ma'i felt the fresh air of her home hit her up, and the tension left her body.

They landed down at the place where they kept ikrans and tidied everything up.

"Guys!" Both of their ears caught up on the voice as they turned their heads. "Where have you been?"

Neteyam marched up to them with a fond smile, seeing both of them safe and sound.

He patted his little brother on the head and softly hugged Ma'i.

Ma'i noticed from the side of her eye that Lo'ak was eyeing his brother with what seemed an angry look.

She felt confused.

Was he not happy to see Neteyam? What was wrong?

Ma'i broke her staring gaze when Neteyam pulled back from the tight hug.

"I just-"

"Where the actual hell do you think you were doing?" A voice cut through Ma'i's answer... and it didn't sound good.

Jake and Neytiri were storming toward the three of them. And they looked furious.

Jake stopped just before the teenagers.

"Do you know how worried your mother was?" He was now addressing it exactly to Lo'ak, looking at him with a disgraceful look. "Is this how you are planning to show an example? Is this how I taught you to be?" Jake was scolding Lo'ak.

Ma'i watched in guilt as she saw how Lo'ak's ears bent down, and he lowered his head, feeling ashamed of being scolded like this.

She couldn't let this unfairness happen.

"Sir, this was completely my fault." Ma'i got into conversation, breaking off Jake's attention from Lo'ak. "I convinced him to fly with me, and then my ikran and I got injured. Lo'ak looked after me. I take full responsibility for any-"

"That's right!" Jake interrupted, now turning his whole body to face Ma'i. "Now, this is your fault! You could've had my son killed." Ma'i shivered at the scolding sound.

Jake sighed, closing his eyes and brushing a hand through his eyebrows.

"Leave. Everyone. Expect Ma'i."

The girl was now terrified inside, but she kept a cool, unbothered look on her face, knowing that she could never show her weaknesses here.

Everyone left, only Neteyam and Lo'ak being left in the hut.

Jake eyed his kids.

"You too." He hand gestured to the exit.

Neteyam was the first one to walk out, having to drag Lo'ak with himself.

Ma'i felt a shiver run through her back, but she had to keep strong in front of the clan's chief.

Jake turned around and faced Ma'i.

"This could've had my son killed." He eyed the girl. She was ready to not only back out of candidates for the year's clan prize. Ma'i in no way would've let Lo'ak win, but if Jake says that she's done, then she's done.

In the moment of silence, Ma'i waited for the harsh words to come out... however they never did.

"Thank you for keeping up with my son, even though as I've understood, he saved you?" Ma'i instantly raised her head.

"Yes. I fell off of my ikran, and Lo'ak looked after my wounds. I am very grateful to him." Ma'i felt as if she genuinely needed to tell out her thankfulness, even though she hated the boy.

Jake raised his eyebrows, and a strange look took over his face.

"Hm... I see..."

He thought for a second.

"You can go, Ma'i." The girl made a small gesture of respect and turned around, leaving Jake with all of the new thoughts.