Chapter 13

"So what do you want?" I say, keeping my distance from him. We're in the ice rink of the cruise ship. I'm pretty good at ice skating, but I definitely couldn't say the same for him.

 "Lauren, can you like, calm down? Everything isn't my fault, you know. You don't have to hate me," he says, sighing.

 "Just get to what you wanted to tell me. I don't have all day." I say impatiently. He sighs.

 "So, one year ago, I was in a relationship with Cassandra, the girl who was dancing with me. Let's just say she was using me. For the money. Dunno if you know but my dad is basically a billionaire, and my mom a famous actress. Cassandra was just in it for the money. Once I found out, I broke up with her. She never loved - even liked - me. But, she is an incredibly stubborn - and stupid - girl." he sighs and laces my fingers through his. "I hope you can forgive me. It won't happen again, I promise." he says sincerely and kisses my hand. I sigh and nod.

 "I forgive you. Just... Just give us some time," I say, looking into his eyes. He nods.

***

One week later

***

 "So, the cruise is ending in a few days, and there's something I wanted to talk to you about," Jason says. He looks a little nervous, but I take his hand and kiss his cheek.

 "You can tell me," I say. He starts talking again.

 "Okay, so I'm moving to Wis-" my phone interrupts him. I blush and pick up the phone.

 "Lauren! I've missed you so much!" Shit, it's Leo, I think.

 "Oh! Hi!" I say, walking away from Jason. This is bad. "Yeah, I've missed you too... " I say hesitantly. "So what's up, Leo?" I ask.

 "I just wanted to tell you that I hope you're having fun. And that I still love you, you know? I haven't called, I know, but I've been busy." he explains. My stomach churns, damn it. He still likes me.

 "Leo... I need to tell you something. I don't think 'us' is working out... I... shiiiit... Oh, uh, sorry, I, we're... we're done." I say and hang up, breathing hard. Oh god. I just broke up with Leo. I think.

 I'm still panting when Jason comes over and wraps his arm around my waist.

 "You okay? Who was that? Was this person causing you trouble? I'm gonna punch him until he-" I interrupt him,

 "Stop, Jason, I'm fine, don't worry about. It was just a friend of mine..." I say. He raises his eyebrows but doesn't enquire.

 "Ok.. As I was saying..." he takes both my hands and looks me in the eye. "I'm moving to Wisconsin. And... I'm gonna study at your school." He blurts out. My eyes widen.

 "SHIT! How! WHAT! Oh god, crap." I say, instantly regretting it. Jason lets go of my hands and steps back. "Oh god, I'm sorry... I just... I'm really happy, Jason, I am. It's just..." he narrows his eyes and continues for me,

 "It's just that I'm just some holiday fling?" he says and starts walking away. Oh god, this just keeps getting worse.

 "No! Jason! Please, I can explain!" I run after him and grab his hand, spinning him around. He stares at me expectantly. I close my eyes and sigh. "Remember my 'douche-best friend' at home? Yeah, well, I somehow have a feeling that he wouldn't be too happy for me to be dating someone else... " I say, biting my lip. "I really care about you, Jason, trust me on that." I pause and steal a kiss, "and I wouldn't want to hurt you in any way. I'm really happy with you." I smile and I know he's forgiven me when I see him return the gesture.