Chapter 70

Noro glanced behind her, checking on Inuyasha and the others as Sesshomaru fought. They were ok; it looked like Sesshomaru's brother was trying to secure some help from the crystal demon inside the cavernous chest of Toga's cairn. That was good, because like it or not, they needed the help.

Begrudgingly, Noro had to hand it to the spider demon; he was pretty tough to kill. Even Sesshomaru couldn't seem to break through his barrier. She watched him strike it again and again with Tokijin, only to be forced back in order to evade any possible blows. And though Sesshomaru didn't show it, she knew that it was frustrating for him. Such an opponent was not honorable, and would use dirty tactics in order to secure a win.

Just as she thought that, Naraku forced Sesshomaru back again with a laugh.

"Wow Sesshomaru, you really seem to be getting worked up. Do you want to destroy me that badly," he said cheekily. "Would you like some help? I'll give you some, if that's what you desire."

The spider demon allowed some of his tentacles to snake and grow out of the protection of his barrier, curling and undulating. The tentacles split and grew fangs, gnashing and grinding together. In a flash, they streaked towards Sesshomaru.

"Ha, don't patronize me Naraku," the dog demon replied arrogantly, and he prepared to cut through the half demon's appendages. But they streaked past him, and towards Noro.

"That won't work, Naraku," Noro shouted, and Entei flew up away, evading Naraku's arms as they tried to bite and maim the stallion. Sesshomaru tried to intercede, but was preoccupied by more of the spider's tentacles.

"You're too slow Naraku," Noro called out as Entei dodged the tentacles with ease. "You won't be able to catch me with those. These are nothing!"

She readjusted her grip on Hageshi Taiyo, and sliced right through them just as Sesshomaru did the same.

Then Naraku grinned knowingly, and there was barely a heartbeat of a warning before a miasma erupted from the severed limbs, clouding the entire area and enveloping them in a thick, potent smoke. Noro cried out as the poisonous fog overtook them.

Inside Toga's grave, Inuyasha had been trying to crack Hosenki's crystal armor in order to gain the Adamant Barrage as an attack for Tetsusaiga, when the group heard Noro's cry and turned just in time to see saw the dense cloud of poison engulf their friend.

"Noro," everyone cried out in concern, except for Inuyasha, who was busy. Sango took a few steps forward, but the demon slayer was quickly pulled back by Miroku.

"No, stay back," the monk warned them as the poison began creeping toward them, the group watching, fearstruck as the miasma began to melt down anything organic that it touched. What was a strange cobblestone of skulls, was now nothing but a bubbling puddle, while dirt and stones remained untouched. They were horrified.

"But- Noro's still in there," Sango argued, hoisting her weapon over her shoulder. The demon slayer grimaced, ready to charge into the deadly fog. Then Kagome stepped forward, bow in hand.

"Stay back everyone, I'll purify the miasma!" She notched her arrow.

But when the girl let her sacred arrow fly, and it purified the demonic fumes, only one figure came into view.

The mist was blown away from Sesshomaru, caught in the whirlwind of his own demonic aura as it began to roil. He gripped Tokijin tightly, and as the miasma swirled away from the demon lord, he glared menacingly at the unperturbed half demon. His eyes showed just the barest tint of red in their depths.

Naraku's eyebrows raised, and he gave a surprised laugh.

"I see that I actually got under your skin this time, Sesshomaru," he laughed. "Does that woman really mean that much to you?"