Chapter 24

The town of Sola-lun was a bustling metropolis, people coming from all over Japan to pray at the lakeside shrine to the goddess. There were many shops at the market, quite a few of them dedicated to good luck charms and talismans for true love. They were apparently banking on the tourists that came because of the local legend. Traders hawked their wares on the streets, from fruits to veggies to spices to medicines to cloth.

Noro bought Rin a couple of kimonos, and some various spices and medicine that they could not gather from the wild.

While Noro was looking at a booth, Rin asked her a question.

"Lady Noro, are you and Lord Sesshomaru fighting?"

Suprised, Noro turned to the young girl, an item she had been examining forgotten in her hand.

"Fighting," she echoed. "Now what makes you say that?"

Rin figited, and Noro got the sense that she was nervous.

"Don't worry, I'm not upset," she said, "just curious."

"Well," said Rin slowly. "You and Lord Sesshomaru usually talk all the time, but today you haven't said a word to him, and earlier you argued with him. Did he do something?"

Noro laughed, the girls observation delighting her, and the woman knelt down in front of Rin, and ruffled the girls hair.

"It's nothing, just a little disagreement. You shouldn't concern yourself with it Rin. I simply think that he's a childish moron, and he think that I'm a dunder headed human."

Rin thought that perhaps it was more than a small disagreement, but upon hearing Noros excuse, and seeing her faux smile, Rin decided that it was better to go along with it.

"Well, whatever it is, I'm sure that Lord Sesshomaru will make it up to you," Rin replied.

"Ha ha, I hope he does." Noro laughed. "In any case, we shouldn't let His Royal Behind ruin a perfectly good afternoon. Come on, I saw a booth selling some beautiful hairpins over there. Maybe we could find a nice one for you."

They walked over and began looking.

"Good evening ladies," the salesman said jovially. "Is there anything that I can interest you in today? Perhaps a nice piece of jewelry?"

"Perhaps," said Noro noncommittally. She watched Rin run her eyes over the merchandise.

The man nodded knowingly.

"I understand," he said. He glanced towards Rin. "Your daughter?"

Noro blinked. "What? No, Rin's not my daughter, sorry."

"My apologies. From you interactions, I had assumed..." the booth owner explained.

"It's alright. Rin doesn't have any family, so I do take care of her. It's easy to make the mistake."

"Ahh thank you," the man nodded.

"In any case Miss, if you aren't looking for a hairpin, are there any other things I might have for you? Jewelry is not the only thing that I sell."

"Really?"

"Of course. And for a lady such as yourself, they would not be so expensive. Behold."

The man withdrew something from under the counter, and set it on the table. Noro raised an eyebrow.

"What exactly made you think of this?"

The man smiled knowingly. "Let's just say that I have a good intuition."

A wide array of knives and daggers lay on the plaque, polished to perfection, but not without a razor like menacing gleam to them.

Noro slid a finger down the handle of one blade, the texture of the leather smooth and worn.

"Ah, a kaiken. A fine choice."

Noro hummed in agreement. Kaikens were traditionally worn by noble women, concealed in a pocket. Usually they were used for self defense, but some were known to be used for suicide. Noro eyed a rather large notch near the back of the blade with wariness.

"This one looks like it's seen some action," she said.

The booth owner nodded.

"It belonged to a lady of great beauty and power. I was told that she died fighting off assassins with that very blade. It would have gone to her children, but unfortunately, she had none."

"I see. Well, I am no fighter, it might do me well to have a weapon, however small. How much? I warn you now, I do not have to allowance of a noble."

"Worry not my lady, I only ask for twelve notes."

Noros eyebrow twitched. It wasn't too expensive, but it would take up the rest of her money. How suspicious. (I actually don't know if that's expensive or not, but they used paper money in feudal Japan)

"Really? You had just said that it belonged to a noblewoman. Surely it must be worth more."

"Ahhh, but it was you yourself that pointed out it's flaw. A marred blade will not fetch much coin."

"So you were being cheap."

"You wound me."

"Well you've convinced me."

Noro handed over the money that he had asked for, and took up the kaiken, glancing at her reflection in the blade as the salesman supplied her with its sheath.

"Thank you. Rin, come on, let's- Rin?"

It was at this time that Noro looked around and realized that the small child was nowhere to be seen. The woman whirled around, searching the few people at the other stalls, but failed to spot her.

"Rin!"

Turning to the shop keeper, she asked, "did you see where Rin ran off too? Please, I can't lose her!"

"I'll help you look. She can't have gone far."

The man left his stall, and together they ran down the street calling Rins name. But to no avail.

Noro was filled with urgency. She couldn't find Rin fast enough. It was getting dark, and with Naraku near, well, she just had to find her.

"Maybe she went down here," the man called, pointing to an alley. Noro ran over.

"Down here," she asked breathlessly.

"Yes!"

Noro walked foreward, but reeled back when a strong demonic aura pushed against her. "What is-"

Suddenly the shop keeper was behind her. He whispered, "I'm sorry," and placed something around her neck.

Noro felt a deep rage rise up within her at the betrayal, only to be swallowed up by unconsciousness.