Chapter 11

The night of the new moon, the forest was dark and still.

Sesshomaru was out hunting that evenings prey, and before he could center on the chosen meals trail, his sensitive nose caught the acrid scent of woodsmoke, and the charred tang it carried said something else. He forgot about the prey in favor of his own curiosity.

Walking towards the fire, Sesshomaru appeared out of the forest, and apathetically gazed on the smoldering remains of a village. The bodies nearby were charred and smoking. From the lack of demon yokai in the air, the demon lord concluded that it had been a bandit raid gone wrong, and from the looks of it, it was doubtful that anyone had survived.

He was about to turn back, when he sensed another presence had appeared behind him. He turned around.

"Mistress Nagomi, look, a demon," one of her attendants stopped and pointed. "Could it be what attacked this village, and has been stealing children?"

"It's likely," Nagomi said, and called to Sesshomaru. "You there, demon. Did you burn down this village?"

Sesshomaru didn't dignify that with an answer, and so the priestess called again, saying, "did you kill these people, demon?"

"I don't answer to lowly humans," he spoke without looking.

Nagomi's attendants shuffled at the reply. No one had ever refused their priestess like that before.

Lady Nagomi scowled, but before she could retort, the demon left, disappearing into the darkness of the trees.

"That demon must have destroyed the village," her attendant Banada stated. "Didn't you see the swords at his waist?"

Daliana, her other assistant, nodded in agreement.

Nagomi thought for a minute, then spoke.

"While that demon may well be the one who razed this village, we should not excuse the fact that he is clearly a very powerful demon," she reminded.

"Yes ma'am," replied her attendants in unison.

*****

I did it! Two chapters in one day for you guys. They may be short, but so is life, and next chapter is going to be a doozy, so this is kind of like the calm before the storm.

Merry Christmas!

Ciao!