Lolita

⚠️Trigger warnings⚠️
[Mentions of sexual assault, pedophilia and suicide]

And now the Lolita holds a gun
Clasped in her delicate hands
She yields the weapon.
Overlooking her reflection,
the one she sees in glass.
The reflections disown
Dainty flower pointing the gun
plays Russian roulette by her own.

[If you are done reading the poem, feel free to skip the poem explication given below]

Poem explication

Before I explain the poem it's important to mention that Lolita is an term defining a young girl as "precociously seductive." It originates from Vladimir Nabokov's 1955 novel Lolita, which portrays the narrator Humbert's sexual obsession with and victimization of a 12-year-old girl whom he privately calls "Lolita".

Now the use of the term Lolita has been done to express the "narrator's" (It isn't me okay?) inappropriate feelings towards the young girl in the poem. And it is safe to assume the girl has been assaulted.

Further the "reflections" of the girl in the poem depict the society. That the "reflections" have mutely watched her horror show and as she is standing parallel to the "glass", they continue to silently watch her.

Russian roulette is the practice of loading a bullet into one chamber of a revolver, spinning the cylinder, and then pulling the trigger while pointing the gun at one's own head.
Thus, it can be noticed that the Lolita is gambling away her own life, showcasing her suicidal nature.

The gamble of her death, the muteness of the society and the horror show of her childhood made into an entertainment for someone older than her, is more important than the suicide itself.
Her perturbations as she holds the gun, losing her childhood to someone are the key here.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, otherwise known as SAAM. During this month, people across the United States raised awareness about sexual violence, how to prevent it, and how to support those who are affected by it.

The term sexual assault refers to sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim. Some forms of sexual assault include:

Attempted rape
Fondling or unwanted sexual touching
Forcing a victim to perform sexual acts, such as oral sex or penetrating the perpetrator’s body
Penetration of the victim’s body, also known as rape.

If you are someone who is affected by sexual assault or know someone who is do not hesitate to ask for help. Sexual assault is a legal crime and asking for help is your right.

Here are few helpline numbers for you to dial when in need.

7827170170
0124-4007444
8793088814

If y'all liked the poem free feel to let me know in the comments, each interaction means a lot to me honestly. Thank you stay safe and loads of luv ❤
~ Rhaey