𝟓𝟔 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐂𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧

               𝐊𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐅𝐅𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄 with his feelings

       𝐊𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐅𝐅𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄 with his feelings. It wasn't long until whispers traveled and the city learned of Marcel's heart-rending death, so he sought solitude in the shadows of his house, locked away from the world. He drunk himself numb to distract his wounded heart, but the more he kept drinking, the more he remembered. And the more he regretted his last moments spent with his son.

Vanessa entered the dark gloomy room, little light from the open door shining through before it was back to nothing. Even with his back facing her he felt her emotions filling up the room and knew what was to come.

"Not now." Klaus quickly shut down before her lips parted to speak. "Pick another day to argue and I'll gladly participate...just not now."

"I'm not here to argue. Klaus, I heard."

She didn't have to fill in the blanks because Klaus knew by then that Marcel's death was no secret. He heard when the news broke to his family, how painful Deena's reaction toward her brother's death affected her more than Finn who was nothing to her. She couldn't understand his role in the so-called prophecy, calling it a hoax, and failed to accept Elijah's apology for doing what he had to. The pair were just as close as Klaus wished he was with Marcel this time around but was grateful for his brotherly presence in Deena's life.

The pitiful tone in Vanessa's voice was new. Her history with Marcel wasn't as pleasant though it felt sincere. "There's no need for pleasantries. Death is inevitable; we are all bound to die someday." Klaus said rather calmly, but his heart squeezed with each drunken word spoken. "Even for someone who cannot be killed, death will come knocking one way or another. It was simply his time." His fist tightened around the glass cup until his knuckles were white. It shattered and pierced his hand bloody. So used to pain, he barely flinched.

Vanessa blinded Klaus by turning on the overhead light and took his bloody hand to inspect. It was unable to heal properly with shards of glass twisted in his flesh. He winced when she brushed over the tiniest shard that was almost invisible to the mortal eye. "You're terrible at hiding your pain and the more you push it away, the more visible it shows on your face and through your actions. And I get it, Marcel was like a son — "