009.

❝ ᝯׁhׁׅ֮ɑׁׅ֮℘tׁׅꫀׁׅܻꭈׁׅ  ꪀׁׅꪱׁׅꪀׁׅꫀׁׅܻ ❞

_   .  𝕏   '   +   ❀   +    '    𝕏  .    _

Eclipse had passed and Lo'ak had still yet to be found; Neteyam had left to go look for him on his ikran with his parents, leaving Leilani to pace anxiously on the beach.

Horns signaled the Lo'ak's return. Leia ran to the dock where people gathered. She pushed her way to the front, bumping her brother's shoulder harshly as she passed him. Soon after, a warrior and his skimwing brought Lo'ak to the dock.

The young Omaticaya climbed onto the springy material while death glaring Aonung. He tried to approach the boy but was stopped by his father.

"Hey, let's have a look at you," Jake said, trying to defuse the situation. "He is fine. Just a few scratches," he announced after looking the boy over.

"Lo'ak!" Ney'tiri called quickly making her way through the crowd and to her son.

"I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son," she growled, pretending to scratch at Lo'ak's face. The boy leaned away from her in response.

"No, my son knows better than to take him outside the reef," Tonowari says as he pushes Aonung to his knees, "the blame is his."

There was a pause, even one just kinda stood there staring and not saying anything.

"Okay, let's go," Jake said breaking the silence and ushering Lo'ak toward their Marui.

"No, this is not Aonung's fault," Lo'ak said coming to a stop in front of Tonowari, Ronal, and a kneeling Aonung.

"It was my idea and Aonung tried to talk me out of it. Really," he explained switching his gaze from the tsahìk to the Olo'eyktan.

Leia's face contorted in confusion. Why would he lie for Aonung? He could have died. It could have been his parents' last time seeing their son all for a stupid prank; and he, the victim, would receive the blame for it while Aonung got off scot-free. It was simply unfair.

"Lo'ak," Ney'tiri started.

"I'm sorry," he apologized to her parents. 

The adults shared glances, confused about whose story to believe. Ronal would pick whatever made the Lo'ak look worse; Tonowari would scold Aonung either way.

"Come on," Jake said, finally pulling the boy away from the group; "I'll handle this," he said quietly to the chief as they passed by.

After the Sully left, the crowd of people started to wither away, everyone heading towards their Maruis after a long afternoon of worry.

Leia trailed behind her siblings and the Sullys. She watched as Lo'ak got scolded and walked off both her brother and sister following after him. As they disappeared Leia decided to go see her parents. 

Anxiety bubbled up in Leilani as she approached her family's Marui. She and her mother had not had a full conversation since their last fight, only short phrases when needed. Taking a deep breath, she walked into her home. Her parents were sitting together talking about the day's events.

"Come to apologize?" Ronal asks, glaring up at the girl.

"No. I've come to talk about Aonung," Leia states glaring just as harshly as her mother.

"We will deal with it..." Tonowari starts before being cut off by Leilani.

"It's not fair," she rushes out before her father could off on a tangent. "It's not fair for Aonung. Yes, he should be punished because what he did was very wrong; but where do you think he learned it from?"

"Excuse me-" Ronal started to speak.

"It's not fair that you guys talk about how outsiders are bad and they shouldn't be here and how rude you are to them, but as soon as Aonung does it he's in trouble," Leia continued louder, than her mother's previous outburst, she was determined to be heard. 

"He looks to you guys as parents and role models but when he copies what he sees he is punished and not rewarded. If you would punish your kids for the behavior then make sure you're not doing it too. There shouldn't be a double standard. And if you're not going to change it in yourself then reward the poor boy because he's lost and feels like he can't do anything right," she finished tears of anger gathered in her eyes as she stared down at her parents before walking back out the Marui.

Leia stormed down to the beach in the direction of her cave. She saw the Sully family minus Lo'ak walking together to dinner.

"Hey, Lani!" Neteyam shouted at her happily.

"Woah, you good? What happened?" He asked concerned after seeing her sour expression.

"I'm fine, I just talked to my parents," she replied. 

"Oh how did that go," he said back, starting to walk after his family.

"Um ok, I guess. I didn't let them speak so I'll get a hell of a talking to next time I see them," she chuckled, falling in step with the boy next to her.

"And when will you see them next?" He asked, lacing his fingers between hers and dramatically swinging their hands back and forth.

"Hopefully not till tomorrow," she laughed at his antics before they fell into a comfortable silence.

"Hey I'm not hungry right now so I'm going to go, but we are still on for later right?" She asked, turning to face Neteyam.

"Of course love," he replied, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I'll see you later," he said, leaving his face close to hers.

"Ok," she whispered back, tearing her gaze away from him and walking back toward the beach.

‾  .  𝕏  ,  +   ❀  +   ,  𝕏  .    ‾

ɑׁׅ֮υׁׅtׁׅhׁׅ֮ᨵׁׅꭈׁׅ'꯱ׁׅ֒ ꪀׁׅᨵׁׅtׁׅꫀׁׅܻ

hello wonderful people I am alive. It's been too long since I've updated, sorry for that. School is really hard right now and I'm trying to stay caught up. Hopefully I can keep up with this book better going forward.

Yall's comments are actually so funny and really give me motivation so thank you for that <33

thank you for reading! please vote!! much love <3

~lily