Near Dark

Blacksite Hotel Bravo...one of many bases for Shadow Company,was easily the most avoided place for miles around. This particular site sat in the warzone that was Al-Mazrah,though AQ seemed to act like the base wasn't there; for some reason,the men in the black uniforms tended to ignore them-

Other American soldiers,lesser men with lower security clearance,didn't know the system of caves was even there. And the few locals foolish enough to intrude on the territory of the ones in black,had a tendency to never be heard from again...

Shadow Company were hands down,the best company of soldiers ever assembled in American military history.

Picked from the best of the best, they were the definition of the term "elite of the elite". Delta Force/SFOD-D,Green Berets, 75th Rangers,the 82nd and 101st Airborne; even men from artillery and armor units were invited.

Officially,Shadow Company functioned as the only active unit within the otherwise-disbanded 12th Special Forces group.

The difference was that Shadow Company weren't just good, or even great- they were more than elite,themselves second to no one.On special assignment under the command of famed American officer Lieutenant General Herschel von Shepherd III, Shadow Company answered to the General and him alone.

The same could be said of the international unit of special forces operators,Task Force 141; in fact,the two units had worked together throughout Eurasia and sported a healthy, often fierce rivalry.

Americans,Australians,Brits, and others of 141 bragged that they could out-fight, out-shoot,out-gun and out-drink Shadow Company any day of the week; the men and woman of Shadow said exactly the same of 141.

Busy hunting enemies of the free world in the mountains of Al Mazrah,the U.R.A,and anywhere else duty called them, the two elite units rarely had enough time to put their talk to the test- but what off-duty contests they did engage in would have put many of the Corp's Devil Dogs to shame,damn marines...

If one had to state a difference between 141, and Shadow Company, it was that Shadow Company did avoid the limelight at all times,for a multitude of reasons...

Both units were highly classified,and while their membership restrictions were similar-being invite only,they each were relatively new to the scene,141 been recently founded by SAS Captain John Price,and backed by CIA's Kate Laswell...

With Shadow Company,their existence was about all anyone was allowed to know.Their members,when recognized, were constantly being bought drinks in American airports- they became the SEAL Team Six of the Army...the men who would bring down terrorist mad-dog sons of a bitches...

And any ultranationalist who laid with em'...

—Just the same way that the Marines had bagged Barkov.

But Shadow Company did not like publicity;they lied in the shadows for a reason...they were a force gifted with the unique ability to play their enemies' games better than the foe themselves...

Shadow Company had earned the respect and fear of every enemy they faced.All across the blood-worn sands of the URA,AQ lived in fear of those bearing the Fortified Spade patch,encircled with the words "UMBRA CATERVAE" and "SHADOW GROUP".

AQ leadership had been baffled by early reports of the "Dark Soldiers",faceless western rats who hid in their very caves and appeared like the underworld returned in each and every one of them.

Now their top faces,in quiet,secure conversations,told of Shadow Company as the only enemy they had ever learned to fear.

They were not like the other Americans; these ones fought like fighters of an American ultranationalist group with a homeland war of their own.
——