8. Show No Mercy

We make our way back outside, to the walkway. "Lets get airborne." Danse says as we board the Vertibird. Even the disengaging from the Prydwen was jarring. "Having the Prydwen moored above the airport keeps the Brotherhood within striking distance of the city." Danse says as we circle around the airport to head to our destination, a perfect view of all the other soldiers below continuing their daily duties.

Luckily, the entire flight there was quiet. No enemies on the ground below and Danse staying quiet. I was actually thankful for the silence, for my beating heart was enough.

As we approach the Fort, I could see a lot of mutants patrolling the ground with large weapons, either guns or bats with things like nails or blades in them. I loaded a round into the gun and set fire to the mutants below us. They began screaming with alarm and firing back, missing mostly but still getting some hits in. Danse loaded his rifle from the other side and began shooting at the mutants on the other opening of the bird. It was a bit slow because I would get rid of rounds quickly and had to wait for the gun to cool before loading another set in, but eventually the number of mutants outside dwindled. It wasn't till then that the island rumbled, and one of the rubbished buildings began to fall down. "I don't remember ever shooting around that building, do you?!" I yelled at Danse, but he just glared at the dust forming from the collapse.

"It's not a building."

"What?"

"That's not a building!" He loaded his gun quickly and began firing at the dust. I was confused as to what he was talking about, but gasped when I saw a figure rising, as if the building was getting back up. Out from the settling dust walked an extremely disfigured mutant, larger than the other mutants, it had shopping carts on its back and carried a telephone pole like a bat. Once it spotted us, it threw its pole and dented the tail of the bird, causing us to swing wildly. Fear shook through me as I fiddled for the handles of the gun and started shooting at the mutant, it roared and I could feel my bones shaking as it ran towards us, grabbing broken pieces of buildings and flinging them like pebbles. We were hit two more times, but Danse and I kept firing.

"Listen! We can't take another hit or we'll go down! You either kill that thing now or jump off and take your chances down there!" The pilot yelled, struggling to keep us in the air. The thought of being on the ground near that thing caused me to turn cold and I loaded another round into the gun, trying to be as precise as possible.

It was difficult, but the giant finally fell, sending one last rupture through the earth, and the Vertibird landed near the edge of the island, leaving as we hopped off. "What the fuck was that thing?!" I heaved, shaky from the fight.

"A Behemoth. They're bigger than super mutants." Danse started walking, I felt my face getting red with anger and stomped in front of him, making him stop.

"What the fuck Danse?! What the hell did I do wrong! You've been like this all morning!" His eyes glared down at me and his frown seemed to press down harder.

"You shouldn't talk like that to your higher-ups. Now be quiet and follow orders." He stated and walked around me, continuing to the Fort. He's apparently switched on the soldier in him. We make our way up the hill to the front of the building while taking out a couple of more mutants, all the while watching each other's backs.

And just like at ArkJet, we make our way through the building with no problem. Paladin Danse moved swiftly and accurately as I followed him stealthily and quite as a mouse, taking out six mutants that hid inside. There was one who knocked me down on the ground and was about to put a bullet through my head when Danse put one in his first. It was awkward, because I didn't want to say thanks but I needed to be mature. He muttered a "Your welcome" and we head into the elevator in the back.