16. We're Gone Nuclear

I awoke with a gasp. I had a dream where Danse made me run as Brotherhood soldiers killed him. My eyes fluttered open to the object of my dream leaning over me, blue eyes shining from unshed tears. "Danse? Danse! What's wrong?" I cried out as I went to sit up but was instantly stopped by an intense ache in my lower chest. I cried out and looked down to see a small blood spot on my white shirt. Where was the rest of my gear?

A huge sigh of relief escaped Danse, and he found himself unable to do anything but stare at me. I groaned as I hoisted myself into a half sitting position on my elbows. "You nearly died. You're lucky he found me." A deep voice boomed.

"Holy fuck!" I hissed when I saw the Doctor. "Virgil?" I asked as I bit my lip and sat all the way up through the pain, Danse getting up to kneel next to me. "My son, the Institute has him! I killed Kellogg and he was working with them, I need to get in!" I sputtered wildly. A strong hand came to rest on my back, Danse's.

"Dead? He's... dead?" Doctor Virgil asked in amazement. I nodded wildly. "That means that I'm safe now." Virgil said happily.

"Teleportation." I reminded him. Danse was oddly quiet beside me, I hadn't realized how close I'd been to dying yet or that it had scared the shit out of him.

"Well you certainly did your homework. I can't build it, I don't have the means. I'm sure your organization might." Virgil said before turning to his chemistry station and began scribbling clumsily on a piece of paper.

I turned to look at Danse who was staring at me. The look in those blue eyes made me worry. "What's wrong and why am I so sore?" I said quietly to him. Danse said nothing but continued to watch me. "Danse, you're scaring me." I whispered.

"Your suit... you almost died. We're lucky that we found Doctor Virgil... he saved you." The Paladin told me.

"What about my suit?" I asked hesitantly as I tried to analyze the expression that briefly graced his chiseled features.

"There were... the seal around the knee had been cut open. The wires were exposed and all." He told me, registering in my eyes finally. That damn scorpion. On the count of three, Danse grasped my elbows and helped pull me to my feet. I felt like I had been kicked in the chest by someone in a suit of armor. They must have injected me with a serious needle. The thought made me want to faint.

"I have made you a list of components and instructions that you will need to build the teleportation pad. Go to C.I.T. and use that device on your arm to pick up the signal, you're looking for a Courser. It's essentially a suicide mission, but that's your deal." Virgil said as he handed the paper to me.

"Thank you so much, Virgil." I said and I sincerely meant it. Our next problem was getting out of the Glowing Sea alive with only one set of power armor.

"You're taking my suit." Danse said blatantly. I gawked at him. What had gotten into him?

"Where would that leave you? Oh right, dead!" I snapped. I won't do it. That man had done too much for me since I'd found him and the rest of his team at the Cambridge Police Station.

"I can give one of you a dose of Institute's strength anti-radiation medication, but it would be stronger on her because of her low body mass." Virgil commented. I made a little hmph noise as I turned to the super mutant.

"Absolutely not. I'm not risking it." Danse announced.

"Good thing I'm not asking you to take it." I told him and I took the needle from Virgil. Danse glared down at me, daring me to do something against orders.

"You're not taking it, It's too dangerous. That's an order, Knight." Danse said sternly. I only replied with a smile before scrunching my eyes closed as I jammed the needle into my forearm. I yipped in pain. "Fuck." Danse snarled as he punched the stone wall before climbing into his power armor defeatedly.