Chapter 4: Garden of Words

Summary:

With their sights set on Marighettis 047 the crew holds a meeting within the botanical observatory so Al-an can give Robin and Ryley some much needed intel on the aliens they would be dealing with should they seek to obtain the resources they need to get to Pattracore.

Unfortunately the smallest slips lead to conflict and Robin is left trying to mediate between her architect and the hermit..

Notes:

Chapter theme song: https://youtu.be/xekXH0-eRlA
Please listern along side reading for the best immersion! '¬'

We finally back!
I missed these two!

RYLEY:

Around him the ship creaks with life, it's not so much of a disturbing noise as the sound of life upon a ship dredges up the melancholy sense of familiarity.

He tries to avoid the lingering threads of doubt brewing within his chest as he sits in the dark corner of the room, while the soft lighting of the ship didn't agitate his eyes in the least, he had spent the last three years slinking around the shadows..

The dark felt inexplicably safe, a familiar constant... So naturally that's where Ryley ended up, sitting on the floor, his head pressed back against the cool hull of the ship, his fins were starting to really ache..pain meds didn't last forever.. he would need to ask Robin for more painkillers...

if she ever came out...

Ryley couldn't help but wonder what they were up to in there. Perhaps they started on new plans already, more reliable options and scrapped his suggestion all together, and decided on a new course of action.

Ryley didn't know because he was never in the loop of things, sensibly Ryley recognized that he technically was still an intruder as far as their conquest was concerned, an outsider looking in, but it still stung that they would dismiss him from big decisions like this!

Despite himself, Ryley wanted to learn more about Robin and..well the alien too..

But to do that he would have to gain Robin's trust at least, something told him he would make little progress with the architect, nor would he get any closer to the researcher if it was always clinging to her like a symbiotic parasite..

He would need to prove himself to be a competent crew mate and not a self destructive psychopath like they both probably suspected he was..not that he blamed them..Ryley needed to become part of the crew! even if it meant coexisting with Robin's alien warden..

Slowly he stood up leaving the observatory and drifting aimlessly back into the halls, Robin had given him the grand tour already but Ryley could hardly recall what most of the rooms she had whisked him past were anymore, not besides where his stuff was stored..he was so anxious when that all took place.

Tentatively he picks a doorway and opens it at random, taking a cautious peek inside, it's a another storage area filled with unused alien equipment, there settled atop some clear counters were several orange data tablets, strikingly similar to the ones Ryley had found scattered across planet 4546B, a heavy looking cube like structure, and five large empty but seemingly still partially functioning tanks, all in which screens were damaged in some way or another..